Wilhelmina, another rescue

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
IMG_20200902_160201.jpg

A new Russian Tortoise has joined our creep... Wilhelmina lived the last ten years not far from us, on the other side of Keene. They called her William.

IMG_20200902_160230.jpg

She'd been living in a 10g aquarium, with occasional escapes to wander their house, which is how she got bitten by their German Shepherd.

IMG_20200902_160246.jpg

She's 15cm and 682g, and seems to have enjoyed a long soak and scrub and some fresh food (her old family fed her Zoo-med kibble only), including a hibiscus flower.
Her new indoor enclosure is many times bigger than her old one, and tomorrow I'm going to get her into a big outside enclosure.

IMG_20200902_160209.jpg

Once she's gone through her quarantine, I'm hopeful about her addition to my fledgling breeding group of Russian Tortoises.

Jamie

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Congrats on your new addition. She’s beautiful! I’m so glad you’re able to give her a much better life and home.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
She is very pretty too. Congrats!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
If I come across another free female Russian I know who to contact..

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Besides the fact that she got outside for eight hours yesterday, she also got to dig. When it was time to bring the Russians in for the night, I found her dug well into the turf in her enclosure, having made a few practice holes elsewhere in the enclosure as well.

IMG_20200907_133654.jpg

Her front and back feet were jammed with grass and mud (she has really long nails from her previous life), but as we walked inside she came out immediately and spent some time looking at me and her new home (a departure, and improvement, over her arrival when she was fully retracted all the time), and she didn't even seem to mind the quick rinse off in the downstairs sink on the way to her inside enclosure (I rinse off all the torts on their way in to try and make sure I don't import ants or bugs or too much outside dirt).

She seems to be adjusting nicely, which makes me very happy!

Jamie

Last edited:

TortoiseWarrior

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Looks great......What a find!!! I've been looking for female torts everywhere and can't find any.

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Besides the fact that she got outside for eight hours yesterday, she also got to dig. When it was time to bring the Russians in for the night, I found her dug well into the turf in her enclosure, having made a few practice holes elsewhere in the enclosure as well.

View attachment 305674

Her front and back feet were jammed with grass and mud (she has really long nails from her previous life), but as we walked inside she came out immediately and spent some time looking at me and her new home (a departure, and improvement, over her arrival when she was fully retracted all the time), and she didn't even seem to mind the quick rinse off in the downstairs sink on the way to her inside enclosure (I rinse off all the torts on their way in to try and make sure I don't import ants or bugs or too much outside dirt).

She seems to be adjusting nicely, which makes me very happy!

Jamie

She keeps digging like that those front nails will be filed down in no time!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
So pretty! However persephone is prettier, ?