Wildlife officials: Stop painting shells of Florida turtles

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Local 10 News- August 08, 2016

MIAMI - Florida wildlife officials have a message for people who like to paint the shells of live turtles and tortoises in bright colors: stop it.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission recently posted pictures on social media of two threatened gopher tortoises with painted shells. Officials say it's illegal and also harmful to the animals.

The Miami Herald reports that painting shells of turtles and tortoises can hinder their ability to absorb vitamins from the sun, cause respiratory problems and allow toxic chemicals into their blood.

The Wildlife Commission also says the paint also makes the tortoises and turtles more noticeable and vulnerable to predators. Paint can be removed, but it is sometimes a difficult process that may require the animals to be sedated.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Local 10 News- August 08, 2016

MIAMI - Florida wildlife officials have a message for people who like to paint the shells of live turtles and tortoises in bright colors: stop it.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission recently posted pictures on social media of two threatened gopher tortoises with painted shells. Officials say it's illegal and also harmful to the animals.

The Miami Herald reports that painting shells of turtles and tortoises can hinder their ability to absorb vitamins from the sun, cause respiratory problems and allow toxic chemicals into their blood.

The Wildlife Commission also says the paint also makes the tortoises and turtles more noticeable and vulnerable to predators. Paint can be removed, but it is sometimes a difficult process that may require the animals to be sedated.

That is too bad. :( I once met someone whilst "walking" Oli, who asked: "Would you like to have the shell of your tort painted?" "No thanks" was my response. He asked why, and I explained it could be very harmful for the tort. "No it wouldn't!" he said. "A tort cannot feel/smell its own shell.":rolleyes: I didn't argue, but obviously I did not allow him to touch Oli, let alone have his shell painted.:rolleyes:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I don't understand why anyone would paint a wild torts shell - or their own pet's.
They are beautiful in their natural state.
You cannot gild a lily!

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
I am always astounded by people's ignorance when they claim that a tortoise or turtle can't feel on their shell. I don't back down from idiots who say this. I tell them to hold out their hand on a flat surface and ask if it would hurt if I smashed their fingertips with my fist. When they say it will, I say, "I'm sorry, but I was under the impression that people can't feel through their nails."

T.G.