Wildlife Discovery Center - Lake Forest, IL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Great pics, They have a very nice rattlesnake collection,my favorites are the Gaboon Viper, and the Eastern Diamondback Rattler. Thanks for sharing. Len

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Ryan, are you the one who got the letter from the Vet who mentioned this place? You really took some awesome pictures. Looks like a really great place to visit. Thanks for taking us there!

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Vernon Hills, IL
Jacqui said:
Ryan, are you the one who got the letter from the Vet who mentioned this place? You really took some awesome pictures. Looks like a really great place to visit. Thanks for taking us there!

I am that guy. I figured that I would check it out, found out it was open on Sundays, my wife and I went. It's darned-near brand new, multiple buildings, surrounded by multi-million dollar mansions, with free entry (donations welcome). It was very impressive, and Rob, the curator, took us around. We got to pet the snakes and the rhinoceros Iguanas, and even one of the crocs! I didn't get to touch anything poisonous, though. ;)

GeoTerraTestudo said:
Holy cow, great stuff! That's great you got to see a Fly River turtle with your own eyes. :D

I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't know I was seeing anything overly interesting. Are they rare?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Guggie said:
Jacqui said:

I am that guy. I figured that I would check it out, found out it was open on Sundays, my wife and I went. It's darned-near brand new, multiple buildings, surrounded by multi-million dollar mansions, with free entry (donations welcome). It was very impressive, and Rob, the curator, took us around. We got to pet the snakes and the rhinoceros Iguanas, and even one of the crocs! I didn't get to touch anything poisonous, though. ;)

Free even? Wow! Kinda surprise that folks owning those kinds of housing didn't object to having a place like this next to them.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Guggie said:
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Holy cow, great stuff! That's great you got to see a Fly River turtle with your own eyes. :D

I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't know I was seeing anything overly interesting. Are they rare?

They are threatened in their native Australia and New Guinea, yes. But they are very unique. They are the only freshwater turtles in the world that swim like sea turtles: by flapping their forelimbs like wings, and using their hind limbs to steer, as opposed to propulsion with all for limbs. You are very fortunate to one for yourself!

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Vernon Hills, IL
It's a really beautiful place. Enhances the neighborhood more than detracts.

GeoTerraTestudo said:
They are threatened in their native Australia and New Guinea, yes. But they are very unique. They are the only freshwater turtles in the world that swim like sea turtles: by flapping their forelimbs like wings, and using their hind limbs to steer, as opposed to propulsion with all for limbs. You are very fortunate to one for yourself!

Very neat! I'll pay more attention next time we go!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wonder if the gecko in the second picture was hand or machine- made. Its beautiful! And I particularly liked the snapper and the chameleon. The tortoise looked a little sad to me. Was he a gopher?

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Interesting! Thanks for sharing the pics.. you got some nice shots!

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Vernon Hills, IL
emysemys said:
I wonder if the gecko in the second picture was hand or machine- made. Its beautiful! And I particularly liked the snapper and the chameleon. The tortoise looked a little sad to me. Was he a gopher?

The chameleon was one of 2. The other had a blood clot and his back end and tail was dead. Very sad, they didn't know if it would make it. The tortoise was a gopher, and you're right - he wasn't very active.
The snapper was an interesting story. He was a rescue from a metal tub just bigger than he was. He was covered in 1/2 in of rust when they got him, but is looking great now!

Status
Not open for further replies.