Wild turtle laid eggs/ID?

milkandsam

5 Year Member
My mother in law called me a few days ago because a tortoise laid eggs in her yard. She is trying get to figure out the best way to keep the eggs protected if/until they hatch. We were also wondering if anyone could ID the type of turtle? We are in central Kentucky.

She contemplated digging the eggs up and trying to incubate them... I told her that was probably more work than she wanted to get into and we don't even know if they're fertilized!

Just looking to see if anybody has any insights! Thanks!

1465613619377.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sara G.

Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, New York
Pics not clear enough for me to be able to tell what it is. It definitely looks like a water turtle of some kind.
I'd guess a slider maybe but I can't really tell.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like some sort of water turtle. Just tell her to protect the spot - maybe put a milk crate over it so you don't step on it or mow it. They should hatch sometime in September.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
As was mentioned this is a water turtle, NOT a tortoise.

And a warm welcome to the forum!

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
Yvonne is right. It's a water turtle of some sort. Put a milk crate over it with a brick on top to keep raccoons and skunks from digging up the eggs. When the kiddos emerge in early autumn/late summer, move them to the nearby creek, pond, or other permanent water way.

T.G.

milkandsam

5 Year Member
Thanks! They live near a lake, so water is already close and accessible! She's got something on top of it already, I will tell her to add some weight to it! Hopefully we will have baby turtles soon!