Wild Sulcata in Metairie ,LA

Status
Not open for further replies.

bg1979

10 Year Member!
Hello I just recently joined the site and am raising 2 Sulcata hatchlings. I was telling a cousin about my new hatchlings a few weeks ago and I thought his response was intersting. His mother who lives in a very suburban crowded area has had a Sulcata living in her backyard (un-invited) for the past 6 years. He said the tort showed up inside the fence one day and has never left. I asked if he is allowed inside the shed during the winter and he said "No, the tort simply burrows deep within a compost pile all winter then appears during the warmer months" I thought this was a neat story and wondered if anyone else has heard of any other roaming Sulcata. Now I know the tort isn't wild but yet someone escaped pet so please don't kill me with replies on that. Glad to be here

BG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Barry:

I think all of us are asking the same question:

Where does your cousin's mother live? We'd be interested to know the winter weather there.

OOPS!!! Never mind....I see in the subject line it says "Metairie, LA"

Very interesting. There have been a couple stories like that here in my city (central California) too. They are pretty hardy once they get a certain size.

Thanks for sharing.

bg1979

10 Year Member!
Metairie is basically New Orleans to the people who arent from here. Most folks don't know when New Orleans begins and Metairie stops. Gets into the 30's during the winter. Doesn't normally stay that low for long though

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
So does he get enough natural water and food or has she adopted it and gives it those things? Have you asked how big it is?

bg1979

10 Year Member!
Yes, she has pretty much adopted him. He has a spot where he can access and soak in water. She hasnt done alot of research on what to feed him he feeds on everything green in the back yard. She has a pretty nice garden that he helps groom. I was told he's around 16-18 in. in shell length. If I make it over there to see it I'll take a pic. Ohh I forgot... I was told that it laid eggs maybe last year in the compost pile. Is that normal or possible being it is alone???

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Wow that's really cool... Well cool that she adopted a random sully, not that the poor guy was alone to begin with

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The CTTC in California gets about 2 or 3 calls a year about sulcatas out in the desert. A neighbor of mine found one wandering around the rail road tracks.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Am I the only one wondering if maybe its just a big gopher tortoise? 16-18" sounds small for a Sulcata that's at least 6 yrs and probably 8+ yrs old, living virtually wild, and probably laying eggs, even with winter cooldowns...

Either way, that's very neat, and a lucky tort to have found her way into the yard of someone who cares. :) I'm looking forward to seeing pics, if ever you're able to go down and see her!

M

Maggie Cummings

I too, am thinking it's a gopher tortoise. Could you get some pix? It's too small for a 6 yr old Sulcata...

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I agree, are you positive it is a Sulcata? LA is on the extreme outer edge of the range of a Florida Gopher. They are listed as Federally Protected there.

Welcome to the forum!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
16-18" for a six year old sulcata does not sound small to me. Sounds pretty normal. Mine were just barely reaching that size at 10-11 years old. Female sulcatas can lay as small as 15", but usually not until around 17", so its the right size. Usually they will not lay if they have not been bred, but anything is possible.

An 18" Florida gopher sounds pretty big to me.

Love to see pics.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
WalkingRock is 24" at age 11. at age 6 he was ALOT smaller, I'de have to say 12"-14".

16-18 at 6yrs old would be pretty big but for an 8 or 9 yr old..??? thats about right...

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
That one may hibernate bc he's adapted to his current situation. That's why they've been on this planet for so long!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Just because some tortoises don't usually hibernate, doesn't mean that they cannot. I believe Ed has said that he has hibernated many of his tortoises.

Also, it is possible that burrowing into the compost pile keeps it warm enough that hibernation isn't necessary. Compost piles can produce quite a bit of heat.

Katherine

5 Year Member
Hey there! I live about three hours from metarie and have sulcatas that are outdoor year round. Ours have heatlamps and "hot boxes" for the cold months but there is less than two cumulative weeks a year that they aren't in the yard. (except extreme weather obv) I also know from temping my Box turtles hibernaculum (which is also outside and made from natural substrates from the area) that it can stay a good 20degree above ambient temperature year round and it is essentially just a glorified pile of natural mulch. That said; I think it's feasible for a sulcata to survive unaided year round here, despite Louisiana being in the complete wrong zone for natural survival. If it's truly a sulcata maybe it is coming out infrequently to feed etc and she isn't noticing? Have you thought about adopting it to give it a more opportune lifestyle??

bg1979

10 Year Member!
Hey Katherine. Thanks for the info. I live 40 mins north of Metairie (ponchatoula). My father and I have over 60 box turtles which we have collected since I was 7-9 ( 32 now). He keeps them at his place. I recently caught my 3rd gopher tortoise near his place but let it go immediately after talking to a buddy whose a widlife and fisheries agent

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
jaizei said:
Just because some tortoises don't usually hibernate, doesn't mean that they cannot. I believe Ed has said that he has hibernated many of his tortoises.

Also, it is possible that burrowing into the compost pile keeps it warm enough that hibernation isn't necessary. Compost piles can produce quite a bit of heat.

Has he said that here or elsewhere? I would like an opportunity to read what he has shared in this regard. It is an interesting topic to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.