"Wild" Sulcata Babies Hatched in Southern CA!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Tom said:
Also, they would never survive over winter here without some artificial heat. Most nights are at or near freezing, all winter long, with occasional dips into the low 20s. Even 3' deep the ground stays around 50 for several months. I don't think any baby sulcata can survive that without ever warming up.

Well...according to Dave, they can withstand temps into the 20s ;)

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
That is an interesting conundrum. I was going to suggest that the nest was dug such that they could have dug out at the other end and then dug into the juvenile pen but you have such a deep footer that seems extremely unlikely. There is no way for them to climb is there? I doubt they would, I look at mine and they hardly climb at all but is it possible? How old is your daughter? She wouldn't have found it and put it in the juvenile pen would she? I am sorry I am just thinking of anything that comes to mind. Knowing my kids, it could happen but probably not with yours. I am sorry I couldn't be of any help. Good luck figuring out the mystery. Keep us posted and more pictures would be lovely. :)

kbaker

5 Year Member
Michigan
RE: "Wild" Sulcata Babies Hatched in Southern CA!!!

Tom said:
They are inside a big wall with an 18" footer. Unless a bird airlifts them out, they aren't going anywhere.

Also, they would never survive over winter here without some artificial heat. Most nights are at or near freezing, all winter long, with occasional dips into the low 20s. Even 3' deep the ground stays around 50 for several months. I don't think any baby sulcata can survive that without ever warming up.

Tom,
You think too much!!
:)

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC

kbaker said:
Tom said:
They are inside a big wall with an 18" footer. Unless a bird airlifts them out, they aren't going anywhere.

Tom,
You think too much!!
:)

Never! thinking too much is one of the very few near impossibilities ;) :p

Linzbragg

5 Year Member

No wonder these animals are such a mystery. They have an incredible knack for hiding themselves. This reminds me of when the all female dinosaurs on Jurassic Park started reproducing. Nature always finds a way!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
WOW! That is so cool. I also wonder how they look compared to the ones you have been caring for.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ

That is so cool! My little ones were "wild" born too :)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Tom said:
Adults Dean. Adults. :)

He had juveniles in that pen as well...and you can't tell me that with that immense space...there aren't undetected nests. And, there weren't any baby sulcatas in those den boxes. ;)

waterboy

5 Year Member
Riverbank, CA
This is awesome Tom and Hilarious at the same time. Do you have any friends near you that breed Sulcatas as well? If so may this may be one giant elaborate trick, Where this person comes over and puts a bunch of his hatchlings in your enclosure just to watch you go crazy.That would be really funny.Well thats my idea on whats going on because it is something i would do to one of my friends.If not cant wait till you find the nest and hear all about it.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
The ranch is a fortress. You don't get in unless you're buzzed in...and even then...you're not 'planting' anything! ;)

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ

DeanS said:
The ranch is a fortress. You don't get in unless you're buzzed in...and even then...you're not 'planting' anything! ;)

Haha!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I went down the big adults burrow today. They have lengthened it to around 22' and carved out some "passing lanes" along the sides. There were no babies down the hole though. I find this very telling. No one I know who has hatched wild sulcatas has ever seen them in any sort of hole. The y seem to want to find cover in bushes and whatnot and avoid holes of any sort. There are gopher holes all over the adult pen but the babies all avoided these. So odd. What in the heck do the babies do in the wild?

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Hey Tom, I realized too late I should have posted right here. Sorry. I was wondering if you have any updates on this bunch? I find them fascinating and was wondering how they are doing. Thanks.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Wow!!!!! AMAZING TOM!!!!!!! What a great surprise!! They are just precious! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.