Wild Sri Lankan Star

kingsley

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I had the wonderful oppertunity to take this clip of a wild Sri Lankan Star during my research study this year, Note the mud on the plastron from resent nesting

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Stunning specimen! Would like to here more about your research study (assuming it was tortoise related).

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
What a beautiful tortoise! thanks for sharing. I'll also chime in that I'd love to hear more about your trip/finding if tortoise related.

kingsley

10 Year Member!
Arizona
The diversity of G Elegans in Sri Lanka is of great concern, we are seeing a huge population decline, I have teamed up with Dr Anslem De Silva, to study and analize the cause of the deline in opopulations in key areas. This is a private study and is entirely funded by me, the findings are published. The key causes of population decline is as follows.
1/ The use of modern agricultural implimentations such as Brush movers and tillers. This is evidenced in coastal areas with coconut plantations, and cash crop and produce plantations, the brush movers are devestating the populations especially large females!! in one instance we found 5 specimens crushed in a mere 1acre clearing. We also found tortoises trapped in netting that farmers are now using to keep birds and rabbits out. These were small plantations in village type settings.

2/ The use of pesticides and weed-sides is a main concern in the inland areas , according to officials of the Dept of Wild Life, the chemicals are applied by farmers that have minimal education, and dosing and application methods are basically uncontrolled, this is also attributed, to the decline of insects such as butterflies and even the common sparrow. The impact on the tortoises is devastating!! I was born and raised in Srii Lanka, and visiting these areas just 20 years ago, you would find a dozen specimen in mere hours. In June 2016 I spent two whole days in the field and found just 3 specimens!!! sad but it is the truth!!

3/ Human consumption, one of the key areas in the north west coast , used to have the largest populations of Elegans, in 2015 I spent two days in the costal regions and was stunned!! they were gone!! I visited my favorite little island off the coast that used to have so many animals back in the day ,you couldn't help but trip over them, but we found none!! i was told that they are being consumed!! I requested to speak to the villagers regarding the consumption and was declined with hostality and asked to leave. Here are some pics, collecting DNA (my Self), specimens that survived a burn and agricultural implimentation,stunning Juvenile!!! large female with wide yellow banding, my friend and mentor Dr Anslem DeSilva with a large femaleimage.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg of Wild Life is dealing with this situation.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Thank you for sharing and thank you for all your efforts related to this study. Hopefully it will open the door for action before it's too late.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thank you so much for the reply and the work you are doing. Is there much being done with assurance colonies? Are there ways a few remaining animals like you are finding can be placed in an assurance colony of some sort? Most are stunning/ beautiful animals!!

kingsley

10 Year Member!
Arizona
We are awaiting results of the DNA study, before we start to setup assurance colonies just to make sure, as tortoises from differet reigions are looking different, we want to rule out any cahance of subspecies altogether. I looked at a possible site during my last visit, and the authoritys are in much favor if the project. this is very encouraging. NGO is another option I am considering.

kingsley

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Yes, but an NGO is an monumental task, and takes a few years, in the mean time the wild life dept has banned all collecting and consumption of tortoises, and we played a crucial part in this. SL is a small place and its who you know!! We are now leaning more towards education and awareness of the natives in the rural areas.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes, but an NGO is an monumental task, and takes a few years, in the mean time the wild life dept has banned all collecting and consumption of tortoises, and we played a crucial part in this. SL is a small place and its who you know!! We are now leaning more towards education and awareness of the natives in the rural areas.
No matter what is legislated, it seems local consumption is the hardest thing to stop. And then it's a tempting transition for the locals who learn how to find them for consumption - to fall prey to poachers who offer attractive money for the animals they have become so good at finding.

I've look at a few of your other posts and am intrigued by the collection of tortoises you do keep. Would you be willing to start a post about your collection and how they are being kept? Any breeding successes and learnings? With your direct experience in India, I would be especially interested in how you keep your Sri Lankan Stars, and your Burmese Stars, and what you have found works best for breeding, incubating, etc.

That would be a great thread!!!

kingsley

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I sure will, I am so engrossed with my C Angulata, Hatched my first on the 18th of october, I have some pics of it in the african section.