Wild caught Sulcata's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
We only stopped importing sulcatas in 2000, so there should be plenty of WC adults still around.

Danny

desertsss

5 Year Member
One thing that bothers me is that people don't know the rules on craigslist. You aren't supposed to post ads for animals/pets/creatures...yada yada yada. I have seen so many and flagged them. I don't think I am doing something bad because a lot of people on craigslist....if they are looking for animals....it means that they can't afford to buy them, so how could they care for them. Sorry rich, just venting a little. There is an ad here in sac for somebody trying to trade their dog for a lawnmower. :(

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
i think craigs should have a classified area for pets, reptiles at least, people would abuse it for cats and dogs, but for reptiles if they were all free on craigs so many people would take in reptiles without know proper care.

I know i put a few tortoises on craigs, i never did put a price on it, but who ever emailed me woudl ask for a price or just say they will come pick it up i put on a few tortoises, and i got people saying i will take the turtle off your hands, i have an empty tank ready to go, lol.. I also had people telling me they knew what they were doing and i would ask about set up and future plans and they would really say anything to get the tortoise, copy paste care sheets (i've read a lot of online caresheets) so it was funny to see them, lol..

but i do know what your saying, people should sale there pets on craigs, I found turtletimes, kingsnake, fauna are great classifieds to sell reptiles and tortoises, but if you want to avoid shipping craigslist is the best for that, most the classified like kingsnake and TT and fauna you will 90 percent of the time ship.

Gulf Coast

5 Year Member
Mississippi Gulf Coast
weird.. our craigs list has a pet section.. I always see free and for sale pets there.. I didn't know that was allowed.. Because people do it all the time.. Sad I always worry about free pets going for dog fights (to train dogs to fight) :(

chadk

10 Year Member!
They do have a pets section. Look under "community" on the main page, not under "for sale".

I have many good CL pickups (animals, supplies, etc). It has nothing to do with wether you can afford to buy or care for an animal. Seeing what is available, avoiding tax and shipping charges, and often helping out an animal who needs a good home are fine reasons for using CL.

My dog was\is an amazingly great CL story. They gave him to us (free) but we were both very careful in how we approched it. I came looking for the right dog with tons of questions and requirements. They were looking for the perfect home for him and had their own strict requirements and questions.

I got an great Dumeril's Boa off CL for a small fee.

My rabbits were found on CL.

Almost got goats through CL, but got them from another place in the end.

One of my 2 leo geckos was from CL.

And most importantly, I got both my torts from CL. One free (after passing the test questions) and the other for a small fee to cover supplies mainly.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I put a few russians for free on craigs, but when peple emailed me i put a "adoption fee" most flaked out because there was a fee, but the person that was willing to pay it got russians for free because when they came to pick it up i was like they are really free, the fake fee was to keep the people that just want to havve something free. A lot of animals go to bad homes on CL but at least a few go to good ones,

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I bought a Male Panther Chameleon from Craigs list last December. I feel like I did the rescuing. The collage kid who owned it knew he did not have the money to heat his "bird cage" of a house to the warmth that a Chameleon needs. He knew he was unable to care for his beloved pet as it needed to be, and wanted to find a home more suitable to his needs.....he did. The fact he bought it in the first place is a different discussion.

Gulf Coast

5 Year Member
Mississippi Gulf Coast
oops sorry meant to say I didn't know it WASNT allowed.. I swear I need to read again and again my post.. Always typos, errors or spelling. lol.. sorry always a million things going on around me.. chad I am glad to hear you got your dog and it is now in a super great home.. like I said I always worry about the free dogs on there.. MIller that was very tricky of you.. Good for you.. and Im glad you were able to sort thru the ones who really wanted the russians..

hermansdad

5 Year Member
Hermansmom and I got an albino amber corn from CL. The lady couldnt take care of it and when we got there, she was keeping it (full size, about 5 years old) in a 10 gallon! Granted, snakes can live in smaller enclosures, but what kind of life is that! Anyways, to your point Betts, I feel like we rescued him as well.

CL can be a blessing and a curse for animals...

Status
Not open for further replies.