Wild-Caught Palmate...:ROLLEYES:

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Blackburn, U.K.
Well all 30 off my tads died overnight ...not sure how or why but they did?
I was going to get more eggs but i felt bad so left them.

My Grandma rang me she found 2 Palmate newts...( I think ) One Male and one Female i think. One is a blonde colour so i named ''tange'' and one is green and has sharp eyes so i called him ''Gator''. Gator began eating yesterday for the first time, 1 small earthworm and 7 thawed out bloodworms i got from a petstore and held with tweezers. I wiggled it in his face to ''pretend'' it was alive it worked he ate 7 .. And today i had some leaf litter and there was some small spider i put them in a small tub with them and the big one ''gator'' ate them all...

Questions?​

''Tange''- She won't eat anything...why?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
tyler0912 said:

My Grandma rang me she found 2 Palmate newts...( I think ) One Male and one Female i think. One is a blonde colour so i named ''tange'' and one is green and has sharp eyes so i called him ''Gator''. Gator began eating yesterday for the first time, 1 small earthworm and 7 thawed out bloodworms i got from a petstore and held with tweezers. I wiggled it in his face to ''pretend'' it was alive it worked he ate 7 .. And today i had some leaf litter and there was some small spider i put them in a small tub with them and the big one ''gator'' ate them all...

Questions?​

Sometimes when you take a wild animal and subject it to captivity, the shock results in them having different behaviors. A lot just won't make it in captivity.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I hate to rain on your parade Tyler, but the Palmate Newt is protected by law as an endangered species and must not be kept in captivity. You should return them to wherever they were caught as soon as possible.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Redstrike said:
tyler0912 said:
shall i let that one go then?

That's up to you! :D
No it isn't unfortunately...

JoesMum said:
I hate to rain on your parade Tyler, but the Palmate Newt is protected by law as an endangered species and must not be kept in captivity. You should return them to wherever they were caught as soon as possible.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I am about to correct myself and apologise to Tyler for causing confusion.

Only the sale and trade of Palmate Newts is prevented in the UK... keeping them is prevented in other European countries.

It is your choice Tyler. Sorry

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
JoesMum said:
Redstrike said:
tyler0912 said:
shall i let that one go then?

That's up to you! :D
No it isn't unfortunately...

JoesMum said:
I see that now, and have changed my previous post accordingly.

Tyler,
I'm generally not too keen on taking wild animals and placing them into captivity, but this is just me. This may be a good example of why we shouldn't do this. I'm not looking for a huge debate here, nor am I telling you what you should or shouldn't do, just voicing an opinion.

As for the newts, if they're endangered in England and protected by law, you'd best return them to where they came from promptly!

Bow

5 Year Member
British Columbia
Are you absolutely sure they aren't smooth newts? Smooth newts have speckles on their throats. Smooth newts also aren't as badly endangered. If Gator is male (palmate) his back feet should be webbed, and he would have a crest along his back. Pictures would be cool :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just my opinion. I would let them go. I have done this so many times when I was a kid, many moons ago LOL and the wild caught never seem to live very long. I have tried everything from tadpoles, frogs, toad, snakes, newts, you name it I had probably tried to give it a good home. The best home is the home you took them from. What ever you decide, Good Luck

Bow

5 Year Member
British Columbia
wellington said:
Just my opinion. I would let them go. I have done this so many times when I was a kid, many moons ago LOL and the wild caught never seem to live very long. I have tried everything from tadpoles, frogs, toad, snakes, newts, you name it I had probably tried to give it a good home. The best home is the home you took them from. What ever you decide, Good Luck

I have to agree. If you raise them (like you did with your toads, or like I did with my guys) they don't know anything else. But if it's grown up in the wild it's hard to become a captive. It's like me growing 50 feet tall, grabbing you and pretending to be the yeti off bugs bunny. Then putting you in a 20' by 100' "cage" even though you had food and water and stuff you'd always remember being free.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
There isn't any living thing on this earth that doesn't want to be free, especially if it was born free.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Redstrike said:
tyler0912 said:

Questions?​

Sometimes when you take a wild animal and subject it to captivity, the shock results in them having different behaviors. A lot just won't make it in captivity.

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.