Wild box turtle missing half its shell / injury

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I've seen photos of a large tortoise that lost most of its carapace to injuries from a forest fire- it looked a lot like this. The tort survived, and the vets who treated it made it a new carapace with a 3-D printer! It's amazing to see what these animals can survive. I'll see if I can find that photo...

Relic

Here
My guess would be a lawn-mower injury. Turtle hidden in tall grass, glancing blow of a mower blade to one side. Carapace damaged and eventually sloughed-off. Turtle recovers with damaged, but healed, body. But then again, I once guessed my wife would appreciated a new hubcap for the damaged one on her Honda Accord for our 25th Anniversary many years ago, and I was sadly mistaken...

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
I have found a boxie with missing shell and took it to the vet. The vet replaced the shell with a material I don't remember what, but I would suggest a vet look at it to see if something can be done as soon as possible.

jUMPSu1t

Los Angeles
Hey, if you can send me a marked up picture of the tortoise’s shell with measured lengths of all the outside edges as well as an estimated radius of curvature, we could actually build that tortoise a plastic shell cover to keep it safe. All we would need is a way to send STL files and a 3D printer at your location!

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Hey, if you can send me a marked up picture of the tortoise’s shell with measured lengths of all the outside edges as well as an estimated radius of curvature, we could actually build that tortoise a plastic shell cover to keep it safe. All we would need is a way to send STL files and a 3D printer at your location!
That’s a really good idea. But isn’t a expensive?
(The printer)

jUMPSu1t

Los Angeles
That’s a really good idea. But isn’t a expensive?
(The printer)
Yeah, the printer will be expensive, but I know some services (Xometry is a good example) that will print STLs for you and ship them. The cost is high, but we’d be potentially saving the tortoise’s life, and I think that’s payment in itself!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@Makaylaiori Any update on the turtle? Did you have any luck contacting the nearby(-ish) veterinarians on the ARAV list?
In my opinion it would be a waste of money to take that turtle to a vet. There's nothing to be done about it. The injury is old and healed, and new shell has grown to cover the turtle.

jUMPSu1t

Los Angeles
In my opinion it would be a waste of money to take that turtle to a vet. There's nothing to be done about it. The injury is old and healed, and new shell has grown to cover the turtle.
You’re right. Keep the tortoise safe and well-fed, and it should grow back eventually. I think the 3D shell thing should only be for tortoises who don’t look like they’ll grow their shell back very quickly.

jUMPSu1t

Los Angeles
Also, if there is any inflammation or infection and you silicone all that open part in, you run the risk of sealing that infection in and causing abscess or even death. just sayin
Yeah, I didn’t even think about that! Although theoretically it’s possible to perforate the artificial shell to allow the flesh underneath to breathe while still being protected, much like a band-aid.

1wildtiger

Alexandria VA
It doesn’t look very fresh. There isn’t any blood and the turtle was energetic and pretty thirsty. There is a small spot that does look a little.. meaty? Almost like a lesion. There are also two seemingly old tooth holes on the intact side of the shell.
Maybe an over zealous raccoon got his paws (and teeth) on it. It may have been hit and injured and an animal came along and started to tear parts of his shell off. Whatever happened, that sweet baby is a fighter!!

Makaylaiori

Miami Ok
Thank you all for the kind words, advice, and knowledge. I never imagined anyone would see this thread, let alone engage with myself and each other. It was a long day at work but as soon as I got home my husband and I went to the hardware store and bought a big stock tank tub, added some dirt, water, worms, and a couple fruits/vegetables. I know it’s not an ideal set up but it will have to do until this weekend. It was voracious for worms, didn’t really care about the fruits/veg. It also spent a few minutes submerged in a shallow bowl of water. It has been very active and hungry which really gives me hope! Thank you all. I will continue to update and engage as much as possible.

1E907D08-7DBA-4766-823B-894B4C672E10.jpegC79B564D-67D6-4207-93AC-341B9BF068E4.jpeg

Terrapin 3

Surprise
I personally think you should just bandage it and add calcium to its food until you notice a change. Otherwise, I'd take it to a vet.