Wide white growth lines???

EllieN

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Bay Area
My friend's sulcata has what looks to us like unusually wide white growth lines. Does this look like a problem to anyone? Could it be a fungal infection or something?

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, not an infection, just real, real dry.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's a bit controversial, but I take a Q-tip dipped in olive oil and paint the white lines only, leaving it to soak in for a few minutes, then I wipe it all off with a clean, absorbent cloth. You can try the cold pressed coconut oil instead too.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
My 20 pound leopard had these when I first got her. I soak her 4 times a week and spray her twice a day. It has gotten way better. Her night hide is about 70 percent humidity.

bodyguard

5 Year Member
Being a first time tortoise owner I made the mistake of too much overhead heat, causing too dry a shell. What I decided to try and had great results was, I took bounty paper towels approx six layers thick across the shell and soaked it with water. I leave it on for six to eight hours a day, rewetting it if needed. Within 6 months I saw a major difference in the shell growth and shape.( I made a mobile hide box ! )

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Being a first time tortoise owner I made the mistake of too much overhead heat, causing too dry a shell. What I decided to try and had great results was, I took bounty paper towels approx six layers thick across the shell and soaked it with water. I leave it on for six to eight hours a day, rewetting it if needed. Within 6 months I saw a major difference in the shell growth and shape.( I made a mobile hide box ! )
Can you share a photo of your Sulcata?? I'll love to see him/her....

Thanks.! ! ! !

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Welcome to the Forum. At one point I considered doing something similar with my tortoise. Glad that this has worked out for you. Would you please start a new thread to introduce yourself and show some pictures of your sulcata.

Prairie Mom

Welcome to the Forum. At one point I considered doing something similar with my tortoise. Glad that this has worked out for you. Would you please start a new thread to introduce yourself and show some pictures of your sulcata.
Bodyguard has been on the forum since 2011:) Don't worry, you'd still win the "But I was here FIRST" argument if you ever had one ;)

Prairie Mom

Kind of a silly question, but I'm curious...What do the spots FEEL like when your friend touches them? Will they scrape off at all if they use their fingernail? I'm curious because my own tortoise had some mystery white spots that I had posted about on the forum. I can still see a bit of damage from them, but am uncertain what they were.