Why would my Sulcata lose a scute?

Sweetpea53

Location (City and/or State)
CA
I have a 23 yr old male Sulcata. Today the top scute on his shell fell off?. Many years ago (we believe) he got to close to the heat lamp. The edges around that scute were soft and oozzy for a few days, but all healed and he has been fine for years (5-10 years since that happened). Anyway today we found that top scute lying in his yard?
Any ideas why, any suggestions on what to do?
The area is still completely covered with a hard surface, looks like a fiberglass mold of the scute.

EB44010A-1057-4EA5-87C3-756E06D290CC.jpeg5DE3B872-7078-42BD-8CAE-289DBA8980DC.jpeg1BE3C830-EDFF-450E-A9B3-61679552025C.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Many years ago the carapace was burned from being too close to the light. The bone and all the little capillaries (?) that keep it alive were burned to death. It has taken all this time for new bone and keratin to grow in place of the dead bone, and the hard surface you now see is the result. It looks different because instead of being laid down in increments like shells usually grow, it grew "all at once" so to speak.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Well hello Sweetpea! You’ll have a shiny new scute to show off before long;-) Welcome!

Sweetpea53

CA
Many years ago the carapace was burned from being too close to the light. The bone and all the little capillaries (?) that keep it alive were burned to death. It has taken all this time for new bone and keratin to grow in place of the dead bone, and the hard surface you now see is the result. It looks different because instead of being laid down in increments like shells usually grow, it grew "all at once" so to speak.
That makes total sense but he has grow quite a bit it those years, and that scute never looked like it was being “ left behind” as everything else continued to grow underneath. It all looked perfectly in order until it didn’t.

Really weird, but all seems good, he doesn’t seem to notice, so I am going to just leave it alone. Thanks for all your help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Because he continued to grow and the scute didn't, that's the reason the scute popped off. If you search his area you'll find the piece of dead bone that was under that scute (unless he ate it).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your tortoise looks very dry. All the new growth is cracked and hard. I think he would benefit from some warm coconut oil. Give him a good scrub with water and baby shampoo, rinse well and allow him to dry completel. Warm some cold pressed coconut oil and massage it into his shell, allowing it to sit and absorb for a half hour or so. Then polish it off with a fluffy, absorbent terry towell.

Then about once a month just paint the new growth lines with the oil using a Q- tip.

Us mammals can eat certain foods for keratin health (hair, nails, etc) but I haven't figured out how to lubricate the shell from internally, so topical is the next best thing.

Sweetpea53

CA
Your tortoise looks very dry. All the new growth is cracked and hard. I think he would benefit from some warm coconut oil. Give him a good scrub with water and baby shampoo, rinse well and allow him to dry completel. Warm some cold pressed coconut oil and massage it into his shell, allowing it to sit and absorb for a half hour or so. Then polish it off with a fluffy, absorbent terry towell.

Then about once a month just paint the new growth lines with the oil using a Q- tip.

Us mammals can eat certain foods for keratin health (hair, nails, etc) but I haven't figured out how to lubricate the shell from internally, so topical is the next best thing.
That seems like a good idea. We recently moved his girlfriend away. (We always thought, hoped they were both females, per the breeder,) a few years ago they confirmed that was not the case. Finally just decided to separate them so he is very lonely now. ?. I’m sure he would love to coco oil and attention. Thanks.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey

thank you once again Yvonne.
It is like .... I learn something from EVERY ONE of your posts!!!
fascinating......
I will pick up compressed coconut oil next tine I go out... my tort (to me) is looking kinda dry too.. (NoT like this tort though, he looks like he need water!!)
But some days I can see she looks dry..
I soak her and offer water and food plus I use an avocado rub (yellowish liquid) to shine each scute... I hope that’s ok...?
?

Heavenoel

New Bern Nc
Any pictures?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I was just wondering if tap water can contribute to the drying effect since most tap is clorinated. So the virgin coconut oil helps to counteract that drying effect.