Why. (filtration and ammonia issues)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
I have a bio wheel filter that has been going strong for 16 years now in my tank. But making your own filter is easy, have done that before my self.
I have been researching making my own, what type of circulations pump to use and such, as AmRoko suggested. I read many people have great success with their own DIY filter for larger turtles than with expensive ones from stores.
I had a hang-on-back filter for a bit with water hyacinth (in the glass tank) but I don't think it did much :(

Randi

Canada
I have attached a picture of what the sponge filter would look like. It sits submerged in water. When turned on, it helps filter water. It also aerates which is good for anything living in a tank with ammonia. Ammonia eats up oxygen.

I feed my turtle in a separate container. Cuts down tremendously on the waste in the tank.

I mentioned I have three filters in a 40 gallon. I have one positioned at each end of the tank with the flow agitating the surface and they point to each other. Then one sits in between them to pick up stuff on the bottom. The way they are set up, they always pick up things. I have a glass bottom because my turtle eats gravel, sand, mud, etc. so I notice the debris very quickly. I do minor changes every two days and then a big change at the end of the week.

What size is your tank and what type of turtle?

I'd scrap all of your water if it's that colour. Restart. You will want to add good bacteria to brand new water.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
I have been researching making my own, what type of circulations pump to use and such, as AmRoko suggested. I read many people have great success with their own DIY filter for larger turtles than with expensive ones from stores.
I had a hang-on-back filter for a bit with water hyacinth (in the glass tank) but I don't think it did much :(
You can use two storage tubs, 50 gal or so. Take one and cut a slit out the bottom, and on the inside you can put filter pads(can make your own frame and stuff with carbon and filter floss, that way it fits the tub and water does not pass through the bottom or over the edges) and stack them in a slant position, like the bottom of one meets the top, a layered ramp or something looking like what I am trying to describe. Have outflow water drop on top of one and then the water flows to the next and so on, to catch particles. The water that flows out the bottom from the slit can flow into the other tub that is filled with bio balls, and a small section of the other side is blocked by a wall that has holes in it, you put the pump there to take the clean water to the tank. You can look up DIY sumps, sorta what I just described.

Randi

Canada
Also, feeding him in a container seemed to do wonders with his darting. He now sits and stares when I come in the room instead of flying off his dock. He also swims to me when it's feeding time and I am able to grab him without him fleeing.

Last edited:

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Oh, thank you :)
I tried that, at wellignton's suggestion, but I found it really do squat for the future cleanliness of the water.:(
I have three 8''+ sliders which I adopted earlier this year. Right now, following another suggestion, I have them seratley housed. One is in a kiddie pool, and my girls have a ZOO Med tub each.
The situation is NOT ideal. It is not good, and I understand this. My plan is, next spring, I'll start building a turtle pond, and let thrive outdoors. for a while, until I can figure out a permanent situation!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Also, feeding him in a container seemed to do wonders with his darting. He now sits and stares when I come in the room instead of flying off his dock. He also swims to me when it's feeding time and I am able to grab him without him fleeing.
My turtles are very friendly :p which is strange, because I'm guessing they did NOT get good care in their old home!
What type of turtle do you have?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
You can use two storage tubs, 50 gal or so. Take one and cut a slit out the bottom, and on the inside you can put filter pads(can make your own frame and stuff with carbon and filter floss, that way it fits the tub and water does not pass through the bottom or over the edges) and stack them in a slant position, like the bottom of one meets the top, a layered ramp or something looking like what I am trying to describe. Have outflow water drop on top of one and then the water flows to the next and so on, to catch particles. The water that flows out the bottom from the slit can flow into the other tub that is filled with bio balls, and a small section of the other side is blocked by a wall that has holes in it, you put the pump there to take the clean water to the tank. You can look up DIY sumps, sorta what I just described.
Hmm, that seems even better that what I'm thinking of doing for them now! I have this desighn I found where the person uses a little 5gallon water disperner, becuase it hads an airtight lid and tube spout already. I have a big box of BIO balls from before, when I was trying to make the tank work, so I'll just buy some bulk filter pads and carbon bags.

Randi

Canada
I have a wild caught Reeves. He was a baby when I got him. The store I worked at got them from a reptile show, and then I proceeded to buy him for over 400$. Now I go to shows and see captives for 150$. Haha.
He was only 13 grams when I got him October of last year. He is now over 100 grams. He was very flighty. He wasn't very well liked by his siblings. I got him with a missing nail, and his little toe was swollen and he had a chipped shell. He was kept with larger babies of other species that beat him up. A Golden Thread was using him as a basking spot. I bought him that day.

He wasn't fond of me for the first month but I kept hand feeding and holding him. Now he swims to me when he wants to come out for a bit.

First pic, him in the store tank under the golden thread
Second pic, his first week home with his swollen toe
Third, a few months ago at a photoshoot set up by a friend.944154_10151916806063368_207721480_n-1.jpg999397_10151947283823368_1447761762_n.jpg 1412827591803.jpg

Last edited:

Randi

Canada
Yes, three sliders is a hella lot of poop. I had four growing up. Only 3 were 5" and one was 6". Very messy.
A sump may be better because of your tank size and workload. I know someone with a Snapper that's 8 inches with two Red Earred Sliders that are full grown in a 300 gallon. I'd never personally pair them up this way but I'll ask about their filtration. This guy builds tanks and filtration units so I'll see what he'd do.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Wow, he's beautiful now! One of the turtles of my dream list :(
Yep, and they are STILL growing... :confused: I can't imagine how much poop he has to deal with? Thank you so much, I'm open to all suggestions!

Randi

Canada
Well, I was going to take my brothers full grown female sliders and 200 gallon but he ended up homing them in a bigger tank. So I was debating between a Reeves or a Diamondback. I wanted smaller because it'd mean less cleaning.. mwaha so I thought. I love my Reeves.

Sliders are beautiful and have lots of personality. I miss mine. Hahah yes, they will until they reach a dinner plate size haha.

No problem! I'll get back to you asap :)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
On the same page! My sliders are great, my painted turtles are just SO CLEAN! Yes, I love how outgoing they are :<3:
I don't want to imagine the day when I realize they've grown over 10''... hopefully my male has stopped, but I know ms YBS will gorw why bigger than EVRYONE! :eek:
Thank you so much! :D

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
That sponge filter is usually used for gentle filtering, for example in a shrimp tank. I don't really think it is adequate for turtle tank. Just take a look at the size of the sponge and the surface area will be much smaller than the media you can put in a canister filter. Also, I don't like the idea of putting sponge without any protection in the tank, I just have the weird though of my turtles biting and swallowing that. I will still keep aeration though, it improves the oxygen inside and helps bacteria breaks ammonia. Just use an air stone for that.