why does my tortoise pee in her food dish

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Because its a tortoise. :D

Seriously though, they tend to void their bladder when they take in new fresh water, like after a big drink in a soak, or when they eat a juicy meal of lettuce type stuff.

nicoleann2214

NY

Seriously though, they tend to void their bladder when they take in new fresh water, like after a big drink in a soak, or when they eat a juicy meal of lettuce type stuff.
I just noticed she pooped out a hair...she’s having a hard time getting it out

nicoleann2214

NY

Her mouth is black too? Could she be eating her poop

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just noticed she pooped out a hair...she’s having a hard time getting it out
Are you soaking daily? You can gently pull the haor out after a long soak. Does your tortoise run loose on your floor?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I honestly think that peeing on their food is a way of saying this is mine. One of my Redfoots does it all the time.

Lavanya

Andhra Pradesh
Hi Nic...

Tortoise have a nature to store both water and food until they find the fresh food.. That's why by having a look over the the fresh food they were peeing in plate.. But don't worry, once u started soaking them in a very particular time, (eg: every day morning 10AM)they will follow the time ..

I mean they don't pee in the plate , more over they wait to pee at the time of soaking.

nicoleann2214

NY
HOw is your tortoise pooping hair?
Honestly I probably got it on her food at some point I have really long hair. I will be carefully checking her food each time, although I have no idea how it got in there I wash her food throughly.

nicoleann2214

NY
Are you soaking daily? You can gently pull the haor out after a long soak. Does your tortoise run loose on your floor?
No she doesn’t my guess is I got it in there when I was chopping her food and getting it together. Will be watching closely.

Sa Ga

MN
I honestly think that peeing on their food is a way of saying this is mine. One of my Redfoots does it all the time.
Seems kind of counterproductive....I wouldn't want it for myself after that!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Honestly I probably got it on her food at some point I have really long hair. I will be carefully checking her food each time, although I have no idea how it got in there I wash her food throughly.

I also have long hair...and I am constantly finding my hair in my food, tort food and poop on the floor...gray hair against black seats... holy cats...got off track...it is nothing for me to discover my hair mixed with feces coming out of a cloaca... if it seems stuck, I pull gently and if it comes easily, I slowly pull it out...if there's resistance I don't. That 'could' damage an intestine...

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Now you personally know that torts will try to eat just about anything! Also my torts just seem to go where they need to or just want to! It is so freeing not to care where!

Sa Ga

MN
Now you personally know that torts will try to eat just about anything! Also my torts just seem to go where they need to or just want to! It is so freeing not to care where!
.....until they get to that end of the table, step, ledge.......