Why does My tortoise loves this Spot?

akeedmusic

Location (City and/or State)
Maldives
Hey guys, I’m just really curious. I live in Maldives and have 2 Indian Star Tortoise. I’ve had them for 21years. Now the plant in the picture is a Pandan Plant. I always find my Tortoise hiding deep inside the plants. So deep to the point I can’t find them. They’re out in the open so sometimes they don’t eat what I give them and eat the grass and wheats growing naturally. I’m just really curious why they love hiding in the Pandan plant so much. Even when it’s rainy heavily they’re inside the plant. I’ve provided Basking and Heat spots but they rarely use it.1210484D-6DDC-4EE7-A99A-6DA9E3254CC8.jpeg7CC10C56-C8FF-4317-A6E8-AB94544FF936.jpeg6918B2CD-6389-4B39-94D5-3D2521F8E663.jpeg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Hey guys, I’m just really curious. I live in Maldives and have 2 Indian Star Tortoise. I’ve had them for 21years. Now the plant in the picture is a Pandan Plant. I always find my Tortoise hiding deep inside the plants. So deep to the point I can’t find them. They’re out in the open so sometimes they don’t eat what I give them and eat the grass and wheats growing naturally. I’m just really curious why they love hiding in the Pandan plant so much. Even when it’s rainy heavily they’re inside the plant. I’ve provided Basking and Heat spots but they rarely use it.View attachment 324765View attachment 324766View attachment 324767
That's where tortoises live! That is how they survive the harsh conditions.

IF you were to check, you'd find the humidity in there is virtually 100%. And the temperature is moderated and stays closer to your daily average rather than the highs and lows of the day. That is exactly why people are way off when they think they are figuring out what the "natural climate" a tortoise lives in. They don't live out where the weather stations monitor in the open. It is very different hiding in plant cover.

Great job on giving your tortoises exactly the type of environment they really need!