why does my star won't sleep inside hide box?

andre_saltiva

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
-7° 12' 57.65", +107° 55' 24.57"
I'm wondering why does my star won't sleep inside hide box?
he always lay around in the middle of nowhere,
i give him 2 hide box, one on the warm side near basking area and the other one on the cool side,
basking temp is 100+
warm side 86-89
cool side 82-85
night temp never fall below 80
even in the warm area is 84-86 without any heater, i don't know why it is always warmer
at the beginning i only give one hide box on the cool side, but he always sleep near the basking spot, i thought he just prefer warmer area, so i placed another hide box near the basking area which is usually his favorite sleep area.but he is not even go in there, he sleep beside hide box:(
I've try some different hide box, exo terra hut, plastic box, clay pot, DIY pvc, DIY plywood
and I've try to make a little light trough inside to make it not 100% dark vs 100% dark
everything I have tried can not encourage him to sleep inside hide box,
except i move him inside while he is sleeping ( 2 weeks now i do this routine every nights )
does it gonna be a problem if he is not sleeping on his hide?
what can i do to make him encourage to use his hide?

btw he is only 2 1/4" so i don't know his sex actually, i prefer call "him" because i wanna grow a male star and wish it gonna be a male :D

sorry if there is so much wrong vocabulary, tenses, and hard to understand.English is not my mother language ;)

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
I believe that use their hide when they feel stress. Your Star sounds like he is very comfortable out in the open... I would not worry about this...he will use his hide when he is ready to.

~C

Redari

5 Year Member
Alberta, Canada
Please relax! I am sure he is just fine, he will use it if he wants too. As CLMoss said, it sounds like he is just comfortable in his enclsoure (good job!).

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Mine used his clay pot hide at first, but hardly does any more. I have a few fake plants that he likes to sleep under. Or often in the open now.