Why do some Redfoots/Cherries marble and some not ?

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern part of Sweden
I reckon it's in their genes, but when I posted a thread nearly two years ago of my first marbled hatchling, I had no idea that this was not the last ?

None of my adults are really marbled, just a tiny little bit (none of the males, only some of the females), but now I've suddenly got five yearlings/2-yearlings/3-yearlings that is marbled. Now I've even started to "collect" the most extreme ones for the future...

JD, you've got some xtreme marbled RF's, have you any idea why some of our torts develop marbellation (strange word?) but some don't ? I mean even from the same clutch some can develop marble but most dont ?

Here are two pictures of the same Redfoot, the first was taken in January 2013 and the second in September 2014, and it's just beautiful how it has developed ! :)

When I posted the first one nearly two years ago, some of you out there wanted me to keep you updated, so here you go...

Attachments

• Marbled_Yearling.jpg
    Marbled_Yearling.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 77
  • Marbled_Three_Yearling.jpg
    Marbled_Three_Yearling.jpg
    643.4 KB · Views: 74

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Mike Nice to see ya ..long time my friend .....good looking torts btw!
Now for the Marble part .......and more of a link as it contains some "heavy stuff" ....

At this time, the concepts of Keratins and of Keratinized or cornified epithelia needs more clarification and revision concerning the structure and function of Keratin and Keratin filaments in various epithelia of different species, as well as Keratin genes and their modifications ….in view of recent research, such as the sequencing of Keratin proteins and their gene cells, cell culture and transfection of epithelial cells.
But for some heavy reading and other useful links …….try
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2736122/

JD~:)

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Southern part of Sweden
Mike Nice to see ya ..long time my friend .....good looking torts btw!
Now for the Marble part .......and more of a link as it contains some "heavy stuff" ....

At this time, the concepts of Keratins and of Keratinized or cornified epithelia needs more clarification and revision concerning the structure and function of Keratin and Keratin filaments in various epithelia of different species, as well as Keratin genes and their modifications ….in view of recent research, such as the sequencing of Keratin proteins and their gene cells, cell culture and transfection of epithelial cells.
But for some heavy reading and other useful links …….try
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2736122/

JD~:)
Brilliant JD, thanks a lot ! That heavy stuff has saved my weekend... This is really interesting !!!

And yes, it's been a while now, but that's how life is at the moment. I try to keep up with all interesting threads from all you people here, but it's ups and downs, and sometimes I just don't have time to post anything.

So keep in mind; I'll be watching ya even if I don't write so much at the moment ! :cool:

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Brilliant JD, thanks a lot ! That heavy stuff has saved my weekend... This is really interesting !!!

And yes, it's been a while now, but that's how life is at the moment. I try to keep up with all interesting threads from all you people here, but it's ups and downs, and sometimes I just don't have time to post anything.

So keep in mind; I'll be watching ya even if I don't write so much at the moment ! :cool:
:) Well for some viewing pleasure ......

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Is marbling the tie dye looking mix of colors between the scutes?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Is marbling the tie dye looking mix of colors between the scutes?
yes ....or in the plant world ..." Variegation" ......aka " mix of colors" or in this case Non color . Now with younger torts this can be confusing as new growth lines will come in as "white" between the scute areas.

Here is a variegated .....aka " Marbled Plumeria"

Tyanna

Wisconsin
yes ....or in the plant world ..." Variegation" ......aka " mix of colors" or in this case Non color . Now with younger torts this can be confusing as new growth lines will come in as "white" between the scute areas.

Here is a variegated .....aka " Marbled Plumeria"

You always gotta make me so jealous with these beautiful plants.

Thanks! :)