Why do some of my babies have pyramiding and some do not

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
My theory, artificial heat/light has a lot to do with it. Some tortoises love to bask and others don't. Do the ones that have Pyramiding tend to bask more than the ones that don't?

Kim's petunia

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palmbay FL
Ok, they are from 2 different people. I got them with in weeks apart. They are all to getter, same light. The darker two petunia and pansy, have pyramiding. have to watch to see who likes the light who doesn't

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
How long have you had them? The two lighter ones were started/kept differently than the two darker ones. The beginnings of pyramiding looks like it happened from the start of their growth on the darker ones, and that looks to be about 2-3 months ago or more.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I have two Sulcatas from the same clutch in 2018.. they were both started dry but I got them at about 3 weeks old. Brought them home together and had them separated in identical enclosures within the week.. now at two years later, the biggest baby is 10lbs less than his siblings with much pyramiding.. the smaller one is now twice the size of his sibling and has a perfect carapace.... I did use the shell saver on one for a short amount of time and not the other but I have never been able to figure out the diffence other than unique dna... their coloring is also vastly different.. you would never think they were clutch mates,

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
This may sound pretty stupid, but it is just a guess. So the two that are pyramiding have blackish carapaces. Maybe they heat up faster because of the black, drawing in the light more, and because of this, any moisture on the shell evaporates quicker? If it isn't that, I have a feeling it is because of their initial starting care, not with you.

Kim's petunia

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palmbay FL
How long have you had them? The two lighter ones were started/kept differently than the two darker ones. The beginnings of pyramiding looks like it happened from the start of their growth on the darker ones, and that looks to be about 2-3 months ago or more.
You are good, that is about right. So it was from the beginning, I have what I have. I still think they are beautiful...