why did this happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samstar

5 Year Member
turtletania said:
no..... what would I need to do for that? could that be the problem? could the others have it?

If it was wild caught, it could have been infested with worms or some other parasites. A poop(feces) test is the way to tell. Mine were wild caught and the first thing I did was a poop test. All 3 of my torts were infested with worms. I had them dewormed and they have been all good. I have them dewormed yearly just like dogs and cats need to be dewormed.

ruanda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portugal
Sorry for your loss...
I also think you should try a feces test.
Good luck!

moswen

5 Year Member
so sorry for your loss! i was about to say it may have choked on something, until i saw that you never dewormed them! parasites live in every wild tortoise, they are not bad, but when a tortoise gets stressed (caught in the wild and shipped in a dark cold box to a new home with giants walking around and looking at it all the time) the parasites have a chance to take over and the worms can actually starve your tortoise to death, taking all the nutrients your tort eats and absorbing it themselves. this is just one thing that could have gone wrong with overly-infested parasites. also, it still could have choked on something in it's enclosure. i strongly suggest you get the other two fecals to a vet and find out if they have parasites!

turtletania

5 Year Member
all three were captive bred.... so could this still be a problem? I am going to the city next Tuesday/Wednesday for a conference, so if this is possible I will try to arrange with the vet to drop that off.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
I acquired a 4.1 group of captive hatched [ meaning they hatched from captive animals.. hopefully meaning "long-term" = 5 yrs. or more in captivity ].. @ 4 years old and all from a group that had been together for no less than 10 years. See and read the story here - http://www.turtletary.com/stars.html

In other words.. they ALL had been "eating-each-others'-poop" since they hatched!

In '09 2 of the older males died within a month of each other.. no prior "symptoms" and within a day or 2 of 'normal' activity.. same as you described ---- totally unpredictable!

Indian STAR tortoises are one of the most difficult tortoises to deal with. And this comes from the community of "Star" keepers I'm associated with nationwide!

If I had the space I would keep ONLY Sri Lankan.. never 'main-land' Indian stars. Sri's are much more hardy all the way around!

It was nothing you did or didn't did :rolleyes: .. it's the nature of the beast.

NERD

turtletania

5 Year Member
ok, thanks Terry.... I have just found out off another tort keeper here that he order REPTAID online and used that.... is this OK? If so I will order it 'express mail' this morning.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
turtletania said:
ok, thanks Terry.... I have just found out off another tort keeper here that he order REPTAID online and used that.... is this OK? If so I will order it 'express mail' this morning.

What is REPTAID?.. and what does it reportedly do?

NERD

turtletania

5 Year Member
This is what the website says:

REPTAIDâ„¢ is found to be effective for use against:

* Coccidia and other parasites
* Bacterial infections
* Viral infections
* Appetite Loss
* Loss of coloration

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
turtletania said:
This is what the website says:

REPTAIDâ„¢ is found to be effective for use against:

* Coccidia and other parasites
* Bacterial infections
* Viral infections
* Appetite Loss
* Loss of coloration

Is it possible to "treat/medicate" anything BACTERIAL/VIRAL orally?.. doesn't that have to be addressed with an injection? Worms and parasites are in the gut.... and once brought in order WILL restore natural colors. Doesn't the early stages of a 'gut-load' of worms actually cause a tortoise to eat as much/or more because it's competing with the worms for nourishment? But once the worms take over then the typical signs do show.

According to what you have said.. and I and others have experienced also.. we're dealing with something that is too common amongst this species - maybe not unlike HIV which can lay dormant or not show any obvious symptoms for a long time?

A perplexing dilemma at best.

NERD

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
This is an "organic" oral preventative. I do distribute this product REPTAID CLICK HERE

Sorry about your loss, if you email me I can give you the best shipping rates since your out of the the USA.

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
If you're going to worm your animals I would get the panacur and flagyl from a vet. That is the only sure way to do it. If you can get the drugs I can tell you the dosages if the vet does not know. Both of these drugs are quite safe. Reptaid works better as a preventative and more so on bacteria rather then worms.

You should consider getting this book: CLICK HERE

samstar

5 Year Member
I have been using Panacure like many here with much success.

seanang168

10 Year Member!
Hi I am sorry for your loss. On a sidetrack do you still know where you purchase the reptile Carpet grass in Singapore? I was searching for it last time and could only found four paw brand being sold here, which was in a size that is too small for my enclosure.

B K

5 Year Member
I'm sorry for your loss I hop the others are ok. How do you dose the Panacure I have been using Reptaid on my Dragons for a while now.I'm working a deal for 3 indian stars now so it is spooking me to hear the negative info on them.:(

mapleloo

5 Year Member
I'm new to this forum. It's so sad to hear of your loss... I have 3 stars myself - 2 of which are 12 years old now. I'm living in KL (Malaysia) and know a few herp vets here and a damn good one who has now moved away to work in the zoo in Spore. I can hook you up if you need any advice in future.
I'll very likely be asking you for husbandry advice myself soon! Love your setup:)

maple

turtletania said:
I just got up and read your message Todd... thanks for helping with this. (And thanks to anyone else who jumps in with advice).

I have just shared the tragedy with my daughters - as I strongly believe in them learning about loss. Now I can only hope I can give them some sort of explanation.... (but know that may not happen).

Here is a pic of my setup:
2s1n3ip.jpg

Substrate is reptile carpet I purchased in Singapore at a reptile supplier. We washed it thoroughly before using it.

Plants are all artificial. Temps are 90 at the hide end, and 80 at the other.
Humidity is 80 to 90 as well.
Water bowl is a flower pot tray made of terracotta.
Feed "tray" is a ceramic tile turned upside down.

I feed them everyday with Romaine lettuce, hibiscus leaves and sitau, occasionally grated carrot and they get mashed pumpkin once every 2 weeks.
Dusting their food 3 times a week with vita-cal and vita-min

They get a "bath" everyday for about 15 to 20 minutes in separate containers (so we know they have "been to the toilet")

They have a UVB long light and a regular fluro for light.

As for quarantine - yes - any new tort I bring home is quarantined for at least 2 months. At that stage I only had Star so they were just in 2 separate terrariums for two+ months. When Tiny arrived I did the same before introducing her. But they have been all together for 6 months (since Tiny arrived) and there was not even one concern. They are in my living room where I can see them all the time.

I will check back later as I have to go to work.

sangamp

5 Year Member
did the tortoise hurt or did u left it in open. It is possible that the tortoise may be hit some where or may be something heavy object hit his shell. This is because i lost my 3 yrs, old tortoise in same manner. It also could be because the tortoise may have felt ill or virally infected. Check your tortoise health from time to tome. The best way to check its health is chk its waste. If your tortoise waste is whitish it means u need to change its diet. Also sniff your tortoise shell. If your tortoise smell really bad or sick it is that it is ill or suffering from physical problem...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
mapleloo said:
I'm new to this forum. It's so sad to hear of your loss... I have 3 stars myself - 2 of which are 12 years old now. I'm living in KL (Malaysia) and know a few herp vets here and a damn good one who has now moved away to work in the zoo in Spore. I can hook you up if you need any advice in future.
I'll very likely be asking you for husbandry advice myself soon! Love your setup:)

maple

Hi Maple:

Welcome to the forum!!

Status
Not open for further replies.