Why can't he climb?is that ok?

Gattu N'Coco

Location (City and/or State)
india
Hey I'm from Mumbai I have 2 indian star torts and I recently got a female for my male but he couldn't do his business..he was unable to climb totally on her.. also Ive noticed the female which I got walks differently like carrying her bodyweight totally and walking high like a table but my male buddy he's with me since 10+ years doesn't walk like that he's very sloppy he doesn't lift his body off ground like her.. can that be a reason is he sick or something? Also his neck has more skin than her I'm very worried. Is he okay?
PS- he roams in the house freely we just keep them in a tub for giving sunlight cz he runs away while basking. IMG_20171031_011641068.jpgIMG_20171103_124858968.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Welcome to the forum. I am sorry to heat about your tortoise's problem.

I seems your tortoise has poor leg muscles and probably bone development. That can be common when tortoises are kept on smooth, and unnatural surfaces and are not allowed to walk about naturally. Tortoises are wanderers. They need exercised to properly develop the muscles and bones. ON a slippery or plain hard surface, they can not get proper traction and do not walk properly and soon just do not walk as much. This causes the muscles and bones not to develop as they should. Allowed to roam the floors of a house, they also are not able to bask and heat up their core body temperature to 30° - 32° where it can properly metabolize food. Kept in a tub, there is no way to exercise as well and is very unnatural for a tortoise.

Your tortoise needs a proper enclosure, as large as possible, with proper substrate and things like potted plants to break up the enclosure and create sight barriers and things to walk around and explore. Good, untreated soil will work for substrate. I like orchid bark or fir bark the best for substrate as it is easier to keep clean and holds moisture well. A good diet is vital now to see if he can rebuild some muscle as long as the damage is not too bad.

Gattu N'Coco

india
Welcome to the forum. I am sorry to heat about your tortoise's problem.

I seems your tortoise has poor leg muscles and probably bone development. That can be common when tortoises are kept on smooth, and unnatural surfaces and are not allowed to walk about naturally. Tortoises are wanderers. They need exercised to properly develop the muscles and bones. ON a slippery or plain hard surface, they can not get proper traction and do not walk properly and soon just do not walk as much. This causes the muscles and bones not to develop as they should. Allowed to roam the floors of a house, they also are not able to bask and heat up their core body temperature to 30° - 32° where it can properly metabolize food. Kept in a tub, there is no way to exercise as well and is very unnatural for a tortoise.

Your tortoise needs a proper enclosure, as large as possible, with proper substrate and things like potted plants to break up the enclosure and create sight barriers and things to walk around and explore. Good, untreated soil will work for substrate. I like orchid bark or fir bark the best for substrate as it is easier to keep clean and holds moisture well. A good diet is vital now to see if he can rebuild some muscle as long as the damage is not too bad.
Thankk you so much for taking out your time. I'm looking forward to building one enclosure asap