Why are my turtles dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NMonk

5 Year Member
So i started with three turtles, one of them has grown to almost double its original size in around 4-5 months, but one of the them died of soft bone disease almost straight away and now my third turtle, who hasn't grown at all also has very severe soft bone disease. I don't understand why they are getting soft bones/shells though. They are fed a calcium enriched diet, have a uvb lamp, a HUGE tank, basking area, heated water and a strong filter. Also I take the bigger turtle out of the water when feeding the smaller one to make sure he is eating as much as he wants before i feed the bigger turtle.

If anyone could suggest why they could be getting this disease I would really appreciate it. I would hate it if my larger turtle got it too.

Thanks.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Metabolic bone disease (MBD) isn't contagious, so your turtle thats growing won't "catch" it. MBD is a diet related condition. It sounds like your other turtles either didn't get enough to eat or had trouble processing the food they did eat. That could be from an infection causing harm to the liver or kidneys.

Danny

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Strong bones need certain things-
- enough calcium
- the right ratio of calcium to phosphorous, making sure to include some phosphorous. The general overall calcium: phosphorous ratio should be somewhere between 1:1 and 2:1
- enough vitamin D, usually in the form of D3 from the sun or diet
- proper trace nutrients- magnesium, iron, vitamin A, etc.
- hydration (not usually a big issue with aquatic and semi-aquatic animals
- heat- not too much, but warm enough to power the metabolism
- exercise, room to move in and reasons to move

If we knew your actual diet, we might be able to help. 'Calcium enriched' is rather meaningless if there is still too much phosphorous and not enough of the other nutrients.

Doubling in size that quickly may also suggest that they are overfed. If they are growing faster than bones can be built, that may cause you problems as well. Turtles and tortoises need an amazingly small amount of food in a week. How much are they fed?

flyinghome

5 Year Member
they need a variety of food rather than only one or two kinds.

if they dont digest normally, i think the feces would be abnormal, the shape , the colour or the texture. it may give you some clues. i think

Status
Not open for further replies.