Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
Madkins007 said:
Kristina said:
Madkins007 said:
A lot of people think that reptile pets are generally as easy as something like a goldfish. Get a tank, add some stuff on the bottom, toss in some food from a storebought jar, and you are done.

The truth is that not even goldfish are that simple. Sure, you might keep one for a year, two, maybe three like that, but they will never live their potential 25+ years of age, or potential full size.

Sorry, but I hate when people say goldfish are easy. I know for sure that they don't have a 15" long fantail that is 6 years old, or a 12" long one that is 10 years old. I on the other hand, do.
LOL! I KNEW I was going to hit on this. Every animal I have researched the care on has always turned out to be harder than I thought, and the 'typical' way definitely shortens the lifespan.

In the end, I used goldfish as a form of verbal shorthand, and 'cheated'- but hopefully the intent still comes through.

Just figures too that it would be me that nailed you to the wall on that one, doesn't it? LOL ;)

animalkeeper said:
I am going to get an adult to start with so I can get used to tortoise care and maybe eventually get a baby.

Also my name is Alyx and I live in KY.

Nice to meet you Alyx. That sounds like a fantastic plan to me.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Well said Mark. I always look back at a conversation I had with a well known Testudo breeder in the San Diego area that told me "People think Im special because I produce all these tortoises, but the truth is I just picked the right species for my location and thats it, nothing special"

Some people on the forums like to discount or dismiss the natural history side of tortoises stating things like "I dont care what some pre-doctorate field observer has to say about tortoises". The truth is that, if your going to keep tortosies out of their natural habitat or in a place that is nothing like their natural habitat, then you need to know what their natural habitat is like, so you can try and provide as much of their natural habitat as possible.

Madkins007 said:
A lot of people think that reptile pets are generally as easy as something like a goldfish. Get a tank, add some stuff on the bottom, toss in some food from a storebought jar, and you are done.

The reality is that MOST reptile pets, for MOST people are a lot harder than that. We generally need to provide every aspect of environment in a place that is almost always a lot different than their home. Temp, humidity, hides, shade, light- controlling all of these within the necessary parameters is not really hard, but it is also not easy- or cheap.

Then there is the diet. Most tortoises can eat a pretty wide variety of wild foods in their home ranges, but most of that stuff is not easily available for most of us, so we have to try to find a way to offer the right levels of calories, calcium, phosphorous, iron, other minerals, vitamins, fiber, etc. Some packaged mixes come close, but most are designed to supplement real foods.

The MOST SUCCESSFUL tortoise keepers and breeders in the US are in the southern US- the southeast and Hawaii for the humidity lovers, and the southwest for the more arid climate species. This is because they can keep their animals outside in relatively natural conditions, grow relatively natural foods, and so on- their home location is doing about 75% of the work! Those of us in the cooler climes struggle a lot more with the basics every day.

Then, after all this, your tortoise will usually hide from you. Wild tortoises sleep or hide about 60-75% of the day. It takes kind of a special mindset to go through all this work for a pet you really cannot cuddle much and will not see often.

OK, now take ALL OF THIS and double it. That is what it is like for a baby tortoises. They are more delicate and more sensitive in every way. Adults can usually survive big changes in temps or food, but babies often cannot. Adults will often come out to greet you when you bring food, babies often hide for their lives as you approach.

Babies are not impossible, just not a good age to learn what to do on. We see babies getting sick and dying all the time and we often have no idea why. Juvenile and adult torts are just so much more forgiving.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Onarock- I stuck Hawaii on the list of locations just for you!

You know- I'd be willing to bet you could almost make a map- if you have THIS type of box turtles near you, THIS species of tortoise might be your best choice.

Florida or Gulf Coast- Red-foots and other forest species
Non-freezing Ornate range- Sulcata, etc.
Three-toe and Ornate- Mediterranean to the south, Russian to the north

Kristina- Yeah, if I were going to guess who would be most likely to catch me on the goldfish thing, it woulda been you! :)

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Not all baby tortoise are hard to keep, it is still depend to your treatment and the tortoise species too..
But after taking more than 1 tortoise, I had no problem with them, :)

John

5 Year Member
Well Mark and Paul pretty much nailed this one, nothing else to be said but excellent posts guys.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
animalkeeper said:
I am going to get an adult to start with so I can get used to tortoise care and maybe eventually get a baby.

Great choice Alyx and good luck with what ever type of tort you decided to get, we will all be here to help..

muddoc

5 Year Member
South Louisiana
I don't have much to add, but I did want to say that there has been some great advice, and some great outlooks, posted in this thread.

SavannanSpike

5 Year Member
Trenton ohio
I got my hatchling and I had no clue what I was doing! I came here to this site and realized how hard it is gonna be to care for my new lil guy! It was really hard to get used to what I needed to do and getting the RIGHT information! I love my sulcata hachling! But it has deff been a lot harder then what my local pet store had said! Never listen them! Like everyone has said it's deff hard work but if you don't mind, get one.. Read up on the different kinds and what they need to live and what you can afford. I had no clue how much lights were until I had to get them! :) but I can't wait till my lil guy gets big! Good luck

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
animalkeeper said:

Good plan, Alyx! :cool:

BTW, there some interesting bargain available on the Internet right now...will PM you a few worth considering.

Status
Not open for further replies.