Why are Aldabras

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunsetHypo

5 Year Member
I am becoming very frustrated with the cost of Aldabras. I have a passion for torts and want a pair of aldabras badly. I have had leopard torts for the last 10 years, and have the proper space and winter housing for the aldabra torts. However i do not want them badly enough to pay 2000 dollars for 1 hatchling. These torts lay enough eggs and are not illegal to import, so why is it these torts are priced so high? Any insight in this topic or sources for a pair in the 1500 dollar price range would be appreciated.

Thanks Gary

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
Because it takes so long to reach adult size and sexual maturity. How many breeders can you think of that produce this species?

And I am sure when you want it badly enough, you will pay the price they offer. That's usually how these things work.

Sunrise

5 Year Member
it was only US$1400 last december.!..now its around US$2500 here in Asia for 10cm aldabra.
I wish I bought the last 4 they had last year. :(

I dont know why it is expensive/ the upgoing price..but for sure I like them the most.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
In a few years, they too will be in rescues.. just look at sulcatas..
Wait, pay the price and get on a rescue list.
Do you want to breed them?
I hope the price stays high and the demand such that the price stays up.. I dont want to see yet another species ruined by over breeding for greed and die like the sulcata.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
For a big tortoise their clutch sizes are quite small, averaging 6 to 8 tennis ball size eggs. So no one is ever going to flood the market with Aldabras. :D

Danny

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sunrise said:
it was only US$1400 last december.!..now its around US$2500 here in Asia for 10cm aldabra.

Know what you mean. Years ago I was offered as many as I wanted from this group of about 20 teenagers for $200 each. They were like this huge litter of overgrown puppies. For myself I have often wished I had bought a couple, but for the tortoises....let's just say I am glad I didn't. At the time I was not set up well enough nor did I have an inkling of their true needs.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Makes you wonder about the 200 (or so) year old giant torts you hear about. Clearly back 100-200 years ago they had little in the way of 'care sheets', books, etc to help...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
A lot was a combination of pure luck with most being how hardy and determined to survive most tortoises seem, I think. Look at some of the horrible conditions we commonly find turtles and tortoises living in and some how surviving them.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
From what I understand, I hear Aldabra Tortoises don't regularly breed successfully in captivity. Someone told me that many of the Aldabra tortoises for sale are captive-hatched imports from the islands, and most are coming from one dealer.

The Phoenix Zoo has had some for a looooong time (one of their males is rumored to have been imported in 1901!) and I believe they have never hatched any eggs.

To be honest, I think their Aldabra prices are pretty fair. I paid some pretty pennies for my Radiateds. I wish they would've been cheaper, but they weren't. My demand/passion was great enough for me to shell out a good amount of cash to acquire the tortoise I desired the most. At least, you don't have to pay/apply for the CBW permit like I did.

If you are looking for a good deal, you will have to wait it out and keep hunting. Sometimes people need money right away or need to sell their animals because of a family crisis or random emergency.

If you can't wait, then you are going to have to give up those shiny pennies like I did! haha

Personally, I would prefer to get some Galapagos Tortoises if I had the time, money, and space.

Either way, good luck Gary!

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I can think of only one reason you saw $1400 USD... a catch. If you actually bought one for that price I'd be impressed.

$2500 for a 10cm Aldabra is high. That is what a 20 to 30cm animal costs in the states.

I've been selling them for about ten years now. I'm one of the higher priced sellers. You get what you pay for. I have kept in touch with every person who has bought them from me (who has wanted to).

I've got Aldabras that I've had for 3 years now... for sale... and I'm still not in a hurry to sell them. As they get bigger the price goes up.

I'm very proud of the animals I've raised and the babies for sale get the same care and attention...

This is me and my first 'baby'... he was obtained at a little over 4 inches SCL... he is now over 24 inches.
EdandAl2009.jpg

This is a recent 'baby' and Big Al...
Snuggling.jpg

I just thought I'd throw this in... they like the mud...
Muddin1.jpg

Sunrise said:

I dont know why it is expensive/ the upgoing price..but for sure I like them the most.
(btw... these are both split scute animals)

I hope so but I don't think so. I've even said as much. The key hasn't been found yet... but we're close.

Radiata are another one... we don't want those in the pet trade either.

Do you know how silly your comment is????? Who cares if we breed them even the point of selling them for meat... check out the american alligator... from the brink of extinction...

Laura said:
I hope the price stays high and the demand such that the price stays up.. I dont want to see yet another species ruined by over breeding for greed and die like the sulcata.

Sunrise

5 Year Member
-EJ said:
I can think of only one reason you saw $1400 USD... a catch. If you actually bought one for that price I'd be impressed.

$2500 for a 10cm Aldabra is high. That is what a 20 to 30cm animal costs in the states.

I've been selling them for about ten years now. I'm one of the higher priced sellers. You get what you pay for. I have kept in touch with every person who has bought them from me (who has wanted to).

I've got Aldabras that I've had for 3 years now... for sale... and I'm still not in a hurry to sell them. As they get bigger the price goes up.

I'm very proud of the animals I've raised and the babies for sale get the same care and attention...

This is me and my first 'baby'... he was obtained at a little over 4 inches SCL... he is now over 24 inches.
EdandAl2009.jpg

He is so handsome. how old is he (from 4" to 24")?
Indeed, the price is so high now...11-12cm are around $2500, they were only $1500 last Dec. :(

how much are they (10-12cm) in US? how much for 90-100cm?
can u ship to Asia?

Post more pics when u have time, cant stop looking at them...beautiful.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Exactly where in Asia are you located?

Sunrise

5 Year Member
Indonesia. Do you know anyone here? or could u provide good deal to ship to Indonesia?

btw I like your aldabra, they have higher dome than some aldabras I see. why there are some with high dome, and some with flat dome?

Jacqui said:
Sunrise said:

Know what you mean. Years ago I was offered as many as I wanted from this group of about 20 teenagers for $200 each. They were like this huge litter of overgrown puppies. For myself I have often wished I had bought a couple, but for the tortoises....let's just say I am glad I didn't. At the time I was not set up well enough nor did I have an inkling of their true needs.

REALLY?! when was it? are u sure it was aldabra?

S

stells

I know i shouldn't... but offtopic for a second...

Ed... that second pic is just adorable... brought on a real girlie moment here...

Big Al looks as stunning as always.... i guess your not to bad yourself either....

-EJ said:

EdandAl2009.jpg

This is a recent 'baby' and Big Al...
Snuggling.jpg

I just thought I'd throw this in... they like the mud...
Muddin1.jpg

Sunrise said:

(btw... these are both split scute animals)

I hope so but I don't think so. I've even said as much. The key hasn't been found yet... but we're close.

Radiata are another one... we don't want those in the pet trade either.

Do you know how silly your comment is????? Who cares if we breed them even the point of selling them for meat... check out the american alligator... from the brink of extinction...

Laura said:

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
My daughter is mortified to explain to her friends why her dad loves chick flicks.

Two favorites... 'Secret Life of the American Teenager' and 'Make it or break it'. I would so bet these would totally flop in the UK... but any parent that has kids in that age bracket have to admit that the topic is spot on... if not... total denial.

The other chick flicks I like is... cheating... yeaaaa... where the hubby catches on and kills the wife and boyfriend... or the wife catches on and kills the hubby and GF... OR the two get it on and just go their seperate ways...

ummm... is this OT?

S

stells

Well at least i wasn't as OT as you... at least part of mine was about the tortoises....

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Yea... I was so way OT.

stells said:
Well at least i wasn't as OT as you... at least part of mine was about the tortoises....

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I believe it is a conspiracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.