who's had enough of ball pythons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
RedfootsRule said:
The best thing at Daytona was when they let a sulcata walk around the show (supervised, of course) with a box on its back for donations :). Hilarious.
I am totally stealing this idea and will use it for our local herp society somehow!

ra94131 said:
cemmons12 said:
I got to agree with this one! At least when I had my ball, she had a home made tank that was bigger then a 55 gallon tank, and I got her and my redtail boa out everyday and spent time with them, back in 1994.. :p

While I don't feel responsible handling of a snake is a problem (even daily), snakes really don't need attention as long as proper husbandry is provided. The argument can even be made (and frequently is) that regular handling is stressful to some snakes, especially more "fragile" or agressive species. I think handling is normally more for our benefit than the snake's.

Please don't misunderstand, I handle my snake regularly and I think he's healthy as can be. On the other hand though, I wouldn't think badly of a Green Tree Python (or really any snake) owner that only handled his snake when necessary for cleaning / general well-being checks.

Ditto. I can't remember when I held my snake last. I don't think he is suffering. ;)

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
The idea has been passed around to several herpetological societies since then...And its usually quite a hit!

Snakes are certainly a reptile that has no need for handling. The bigger snakes have *****-cat tendencies that will appear friendly, but I don't think they would care one way or another. Then again, it is fun to play with your 20 foot retic :)..Or swim with them....
I love mang'shan vipers, but I have a problem with having any animal I am unable to handle. Most people I know that have venomous snakes, have them more to show off.....There are quite a few, obviously, that enjoy keeping the beautiful venomous vipers in large arboreal enclosure just for the display, which is acceptable, but there are those that love to take pictures of themselves handling black mamba's "look how brave I am!" as if they're wrangling a tiger, when the snake was just milked 10 minutes ago and has no capacity to harm you...Now there are the few that immunize themselves to it, but thats another story :)

argus333

5 Year Member
i currently breed red tegus, kimberly rock monitors, rhino iguanas and ridge tail monitors. so yes i am trying to make it happen. the last five shows i did i came home with no reptiles at all!!! yet i see a lot of the balls going home in there plastic containers.... yes id like to see some people try something different.. this will help the balls be a shame to see them go the way of the burms.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
It's all a cycle. I mean look at the green iguana, burmese python, and bearded dragons. All of these morphs and mutations, they will lead to severe health issues for the animals as a whole. Unlike dogs pedigrees, you can only track so much of a reptiles pedigree (that is if your a responsible breeder). I mean whens the last time someones sent off DNA tests on these super morphed reptiles....Tons of linebreeding of anything will definitely back fire one of these days. Yes it is awesome to see these awesome color morphs but 1000-50000 for a one of a kind. I'm sorry but why waste that kind of money on a ball python when there are so many other endangered reptile species that are in need of help. Give it 3 years and that morph will be old news and worth about 100-200. But this whole idea that people have on breeding one species and literally making their living off of....I think it's a little selfish and disturbing. So if your reading this and your an avid breeder, all I ask is that you stop and think about where your breeding is going. Is it to further a species or is it to further your pocket book.

Status
Not open for further replies.