who's had enough of ball pythons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
RE: reptile shows???

Neal's ploughshare comment was a bit of an inside joke that made at least me laugh. No, there weren't really ploughshares at a show here in AZ, but it was a good laugh for those of us who know what he was talking about!

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida

JeffG said:
Neal's ploughshare comment was a bit of an inside joke that made at least me laugh. No, there weren't really ploughshares at a show here in AZ, but it was a good laugh for those of us who know what he was talking about!

Ah, that was the reason for the slightly devious-looking smiley face....I was going to say; people think its illegal to have Florida box turtles in Florida but they think you can sell Plougshares?....

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona

Mgridgaway said:
Wow, we get nothing like that over in Maryland. I would say redfoots are probably most common around here, and I've also seen the occasional sulcata. Other than that you're lucky if you see another species.

It's been better the last couple of years. Before then it was just sulcatas and leopards and a few odds and ends mixed with some of those snakes in the plastic containers.

Tortoises seem to be making an incline in popularity in recent years. Maybe you'll see some new things in not too long a time.

JeffG said:

:) I laughed then, and still do about it. I think it puts a drag on life if you can't make fun of yourself.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Dumeril's have slightly....tempermental (?) tendencies...The several I've had have the tendencies to attack out of nowhere, no matter how much handling they have, and they have an extremely aggressive feeding response. Where-as burmese and retics are basically just large ***** cats :).

acrantophis

5 Year Member

StudentoftheReptile said:
Snakes have always been relative easier to keep and to breed in captivity than most lizards and certainly most chelonians. Popularity is influenced by two major factors: 1.) size/ease of care for beginners (aka the "pet store" shoppers, that frequent Petsmart and Petco) and 2.) genetic morphs/mutations.

Look what species are always staples at most stores that carry reptiles: bearded dragons, leopard geckos, crested geckos, corn snakes, king snakes, milk snakes, and of course, ball pythons. Any one of those species could fare well in a 40-gal breeder. Leopard geckos have probably close to 100 different pattern/color morphs. Cornsnakes and ball pythons literally have over a thousand each. One can practically cherry-pick their own pattern and color on the snake (design their own "paintjob" as some hobbyists say).

Can you do that with any tortoise species? Not really. Even the ever-popular red-eared slider has a dozen or so morphs, but very few want to work with large aquatic turtles, when they can fit over a hundred snakes in one room. I'm not saying it is right or wrong; just pointing out what drives this industry. Ball pythons are what many term the "perfect" pet snake; small size, docile temperament, easy to breed and they live for decades. And like I said, one can trick them out in any combination of genetic mutations for aberrant pattern or color. Some are worth a couple hundred bucks, others are valued at thousands of dollars. Its money, and its what makes the world go around. That is why you will always see a high number of BPs at reptile shows.

For those who are a little bored of some shows, I encourage you to visit one of the big shows: either the NRBE in Daytona, FL, or any of the NARBC shows (I hear Tinley Park, Chicago is the largest). Bigger shows will have more variety, although there still will be a heavy representation of ball pythons there.

BTW, it's "piebald." ;)[/QUOTE

Well said :)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
this has just made me want to get another ball python..lol

i kept some years ago in my collection when i did animal presentations.... maybe now its time for a pet ball for my kids ;)

EricIvins

5 Year Member
The amount of misinformation in this thread is priceless. The fact that there are Tortoise keepers that are now Ball Python experts is even worse......

However, I will NEVER tire of Ball Pythons. I can't wait for the day I can set my kids up with a few morphs and watch them go through the motions and lessons that come with keeping these animals in captivity.......I remember when my Grandfather did the same for me, and now I keep some species that were a mere one sentence description in an obscure taxonomy book.....What amounted to the unattainable then, now has become one of my biggest focuses in life......

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
EricIvins said:
The amount of misinformation in this thread is priceless. The fact that there are Tortoise keepers that are now Ball Python experts is even worse......

However, I will NEVER tire of Ball Pythons. I can't wait for the day I can set my kids up with a few morphs and watch them go through the motions and lessons that come with keeping these animals in captivity.......I remember when my Grandfather did the same for me, and now I keep some species that were a mere one sentence description in an obscure taxonomy book.....What amounted to the unattainable then, now has become one of my biggest focuses in life......

I'm rather the same way, Eric. After Jasper kicks it (which may be another 20 yrs), I don't plan to get another BP for myself ever....but if my kids want one, so be it. I'll buy them whatever morph they want (lol...within a few hundred bucks, of course!).

But like you, I prefer more obscure species.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
EricIvins said:

What "mis-information" are you speaking of, exactly?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I don't know about misinformation, but the last reptile show I went to was very boring for me, because I like tortoises and turtles.
A couple of the beardies were cute, but I wanted to see and learn more about chelonians.
I doubt I will go to another one any time soon.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
It would seem some of you are confusing a reptile show with a reptile display. At a show, the object is to make money as a vendor. At a display, the object is to introduce the audience to reptiles. A display that just featured feeding dishes would be dull indeed. A show that didn't have dry goods of the hobby would be a drag in that many hobbyists get there items at these shows.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
I love reptile shows and go to as many as I can but then again I like all kinda of reptiles. The ones in Phoenix that the Herpetological society goes to are especially awesome as they have displays of venomous snakes, monitors, alligators, crocs, and they set up a petting area with large sulcatas and small alligators.

Also they are great places to get feeder bugs and repashy since you don't have to pay shipping.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
The best thing at Daytona was when they let a sulcata walk around the show (supervised, of course) with a box on its back for donations :). Hilarious.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I may try the box on back pitch as well. Only the box would be on my back not my Sulcatas.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
When I see borneo earless monitors at a trade show, I will consider trade shows again as something cool - now just like a 4H show, all chickens, goats, rabbits, and cows. They have become reptile agriculture outlets, not a place to get something rare other than as Ken put it "Andy Warhol" animals. Display versus commerce, same thing, just how does the money move? Zoo's charge much more than trade show gates fees, and you often get mute keepers if you can rangle one into a conversation that exceeds "where is the bathroom". At the show, you at least get a decent conversation from several of the vendors, perhaps mostly BS associated with a hopeful sale, but sometimes real conversation. I would have a hard time deciding what I would rather do on a weekend, go to a show or a zoo. Frankly, to visit some other persons private collection always beat out both as an option, but is more rare a thing. The designer animals do alot to engage more people, who ultimately vote and may not like Uncle Sam antics about closing down our interest. I remember going through Ron Tremper's place in Fresno and seeing more rare herps than any zoo, and I've been to a whole lot of zoos. What does Ron do now?, breeds a spectrum of colors of leopards, and some that exceed two pounds.

Any one recall the year the Brandt's bought out all imported balls, pumped them through a protocol to get them over that hump, that 95% of them never made it over? - That is where all these designer people got traction in the first place, so treating them like agriculture made them become agriculture.

There are turtles that fall into this, RES are one, but as an aquatic, sorta make sulcatas look passive, they tend to rip everything up. If you'a'll who do sucatas so much want them to explode and not turn up in every shelter, breed them and select for smaller, not bigger. Russians- once someone has a russian facility in the US, then we can kiss blah blah-stan good by, and hopefully have bouncy healthy russians, no those semi lifeless lumps at PetCo/Smart.

Of coarse snakes as pets can be ignored 6 out of 7 days a week, and torts got to be seen after no less than ever other day, so maybe snakes are the lazy person herp? I recall a snake person one time told me that when you hollow out the shell a turtle it can make a good hide for a snake. It is good to see not so strong a division here on TFO. But by virtue of the list it is a prejudiced audience.

I like the arboreal vipers myself, they 'not fall out of trees' all day, and are very beautiful. But that venom thing sorta is not my boat. I don't have piercings and tattoos either. Arboreal monitors are cool too, but the live prey thing can get old, you are at the mercy of suppliers, or spending as much time rearing prey as rearing the target species.

It was fun to work in a few high end zoos with outrageous herp collections, but the pay is not so good.

Will philosophizing without a goal.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I try to go to all the local trade shows for two reasons. One is to help support the folks putting it out there for the general public to often get their first touch of a reptile. Two is to reconnect with friends in the industry/hobby that I haven't seen in awhile.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I got to agree with this one! At least when I had my ball, she had a home made tank that was bigger then a 55 gallon tank, and I got her and my redtail boa out everyday and spent time with them, back in 1994.. :p
RedfootsRule said:
Anthony P said:
Most people don't own a lot of land. A friend of mine lives with his mom and keeps ball pythons in small tubs and racks in his bedroom. Can't really do that with turtles and tortoises.

Most of us are tapped out on space, but ball Python people always have the room for one more. Or 20 more I'm sure. Heating is cheaper because of these rack systems, and a lot of people don't use much for bedding/substrate, and they don't use heating at all.

As turtle/tortoise people, we see all these "beginner" reptiles and it stinks, since it seems there is so much more market for the other stuff. Truth is, if you could through turtles in breeding racks with no light and get them to breed, you'd see a lot more of them at shows. There'd be more to buy, and more people wanting to buy them.

Personally, unless husbandry tactics are completely changed, I feel snakes have no place in reptile shows at all. No, before anyone causes me, I don't believe that they should not be kept. I have nothing against snakes in captivity. But breeding racks? I hate it....People have this IDIOTIC idea in their mind that you can take a 22 foot retic and put it in an 8x2 vision cage and it will be fine? Comon people....How is that NOT cruel? The problem is, its to easy for people to do.
How would you like to live your life in a tiny container?
I just wish people would actually give them proper housing...

ra94131

5 Year Member
Colorado
cemmons12 said:
I got to agree with this one! At least when I had my ball, she had a home made tank that was bigger then a 55 gallon tank, and I got her and my redtail boa out everyday and spent time with them, back in 1994.. :p

While I don't feel responsible handling of a snake is a problem (even daily), snakes really don't need attention as long as proper husbandry is provided. The argument can even be made (and frequently is) that regular handling is stressful to some snakes, especially more "fragile" or agressive species. I think handling is normally more for our benefit than the snake's.

Please don't misunderstand, I handle my snake regularly and I think he's healthy as can be. On the other hand though, I wouldn't think badly of a Green Tree Python (or really any snake) owner that only handled his snake when necessary for cleaning / general well-being checks.

argus333

5 Year Member

IT WOULD BE NICE IF SOMEONE TOLD ME IT WAS MOVED !!!!!! I SEE NOTHING THAT SAYS DEBATABLE TOPICS CAN HAVE NOTHING ABOUT REPTILE SHOWS! WHY ARE U BEING MEAN TO ME? I WAS JUST ASKING A QUESTION.....

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-62674.html

argus333 said:
when did all reptile shows become ball python shows? i know they are cool and the pi-balled ones still make me stop and look. but man if u wanna make some money bread balls and sell them $20 less then everyone.. seems to me the hobby needs some more work with some different species. i saw really only bearded dragons leopard geckos and more ball pythons then blades of grass. maybe im wrong anyone else see this?

Can you be any more redundant?

Is there some specific thing you want to have happen at shows that is not happening, make it happen as you can.

SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY monster reptiles expo, see the reptiles smash each other. The mighty gomek will unstuff his-self and eat the massive floridian invasive pythons in one bite. SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY, kids free first half hour after gates open. Fun for the whole family.

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.