Who's got the oldest Sulcata?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Not me mine is 2yrs and about 7yrs but good question. Is there going to be a prize for the winner?? :)

RevoltinglyYoung

5 Year Member
Apparently the Giza Zoo did, their sulcata lived to 54 years old and is apparently the oldest on record. : D

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
Really? Only 54 yrs?? That seems young to me, but what do I know. hahaha.

Ralph is going to be 6 yrs old in Oct. I got him when he was a 2 month hatchling.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I have a friend about 8 miles away...and she has a herd of approximately 25 (maybe more). Her largest is a wild-caught 3 1/2 foot 185 pound +/- female...given the size and the fact that she's wild-caught makes it difficult to tell her age, but it's estimated at 30 years...Cory knows who I'm talking about. I sold her a large male named 'Diesel' (29 inches 127 pounds) that my friend raised from a baby...that's almost 22 years now. I know there are older animals out there and I too would like to know about them

Here's a pic of Diesel that I posted before...
az6uu.jpg

and here's one of him with Mortimer (19 inches 45 pounds at the time)...think about it!
1i1ops.jpg

I'd think that Maggie and Yvonne would have something to add to this thread:p

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
Wow! Dean those are amazing pics. Beautiful torts. And your friends sullies ... oh.....my.....goodness! Her place would be awe inspiring to see.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
RevoltinglyYoung said:
Apparently the Giza Zoo did, their sulcata lived to 54 years old and is apparently the oldest on record. : D

Yeah! But they probably acquired it at an already adult age (and size). I was thinking they had it in their collection for 54 years until it died.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
I thought that the reference to the giza zoo sulcata was one more for size than of age, I just googled it and what comes up is a reference to size not age.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mine are only 12. I think the oldest ones you are likely to find here in the states are only going to be 20-25. I know a bunch of them this age. There were a few around before the mid-80's, but not many. They really only went "mainstream" in the early 90's. That's when I saw (and bought) my first CB babies.

franeich

5 Year Member
DeanS, Does this lady live up above lancaster in california? I think its called Rosemond.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
She's actually in Lancaster but not at all far from Rosamond.

Tom said:
Mine are only 12. I think the oldest ones you are likely to find here in the states are only going to be 20-25. I know a bunch of them this age. There were a few around before the mid-80's, but not many. They really only went "mainstream" in the early 90's. That's when I saw (and bought) my first CB babies.

We have an old tortoise/turtle keeping book at the shelter dated 1974...doesn't even mention sulcatas as a species...everything else is represented...NO SULCATAS.:cool:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Last Spring when my tortoise partner was here in town we weighed all the big guys. Dudley is 21 years old this year and weighed 106lbs.

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
This is the biggest, oldest Sulcata I have ever seen. Story was quite un believable. To make a long story short, he is supposedly 40+ years and no idea on weight. I bumped in to him while he was walking down the street with the owner. What do you think?? I bet at least 150-200lbs.
I am having hard time attaching photos. Too large of file. here is crappy one.

large.jpgmaybe this is better?

Attachments

• biggie.jpg
    biggie.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 189
Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Az tortoise compound said:
This is the biggest, oldest Sulcata I have ever seen. Story was quite un believable. To make a long story short, he is supposedly 40+ years and no idea on weight. I bumped in to him while he was walking down the street with the owner. What do you think?? I bet at least 150-200lbs.
I am having hard time attaching photos. Too large of file. here is crappy one.

maybe this is better?

Try http://tinypic.com/
Just upload any size photo and when its done, copy/paste the IMG code into your post. Its really easy. I'm pretty ignorant with computer stuff and I was able to figure it out.

How do they know he's 40+? Have they had him since 1970? He looks like he might be wild caught. I've seen a lot of them around that size and the ages have been reported as 18-25.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Yeah! And the other thing to keep in mind is that they grow so much slower in the wild than in captivity...so you're not gonna see any 10 year olds that weigh 100 pounds...

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
Wild caught as hatchling. Supposedly given to a senator in the late 60's as a gift. I met the senator's widow. Seems pretty realistic. What do I really know?

Attachments

• 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 118

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Az tortoise compound said:
Wild caught as hatchling. Supposedly given to a senator in the late 60's as a gift. I met the senator's widow. Seems pretty realistic. What do I really know?

Seems likely, it looks like a heavy tort.

Out of curiousity, how does one go about registering an official weight for the record books.

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
I have been wondering the same thing. How do you even weigh a guy like that. I was thinking go to the dump and weigh my truck empty then go get this guy and weigh again. That is the only thing I can think of.

Status
Not open for further replies.