Who here lives in or around San Diego?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkingler

5 Year Member
If you live in SD and have tortoises (owner, breeder, rescuer, etc.), post here so we know who you are. :)

Posters I am already aware of include:

Lulu
Momof4
Angi
bcurtis
cljohnson
ticothetort2
pinoyfisher

Am I missing any?

And if I included you, do post anyways. (Even if you do all know each other already, I didn't see a thread like this, and I only know a few of you. :))

Note: If people from SD post in here and subscribe, we can...

-help each other keep track of tortoise events
-start to arrange meetups,
-etc.

...and we won't need to make a bunch of different threads, except when one is merited. ;)

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
jkingler said:
If you live in SD and have tortoises (owner, breeder, rescuer, etc.), post here so we know who you are. :)

Posters I am already aware of include:

Lulu
Momof4
Angi
bcurtis
cljohnson
ticothetort2
pinoyfisher

Am I missing any?

And if I included you, do post anyways. (Even if you do all know each other already, I didn't see a thread like this, and I only know a few of you. :))

Note: If people from SD post in here and subscribe, we can...

-help each other keep track of tortoise events
-start to arrange meetups,
-etc.

...and we won't need to make a bunch of different threads, except when one is merited. ;)

Ooh, Ooh, Me, me! :)

LLL often throws community events, if you guys were at all interested. Vivarium building classes are happening in Mission Valley, for example, or like a recent free event we did in Escondido, we gave a free showing of the new Herper's 2 DVD.

Would you guys like to hear about these events, and maybe suggest some tortoise and turtle oriented ones as well? We always love suggestions for these!

-Jen

Lulu

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
Actually Jen, I really really want to sign up for the viv class. Do I just go in to the Mission Valley location and sign up or call or what? :)

And, yes, we'd love to hear about events.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I live quite a bit north of San Diego - but I have friends that live down there - so I'm there a lot! :)

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Also, if you post details about the vivarium class, I'm sure others will be interested (even though it means probably succumbing to the urge to get something to go into the new vivarium). It's a great deal and I'm dying to go.

Edit: I even have a friend from Orange County talking about trying to make it!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I would like to receive info on events even if I can't make most of them. Thanks!

jkingler

5 Year Member
Hello, Jen! (And Kathy, and Renee, and Kimber! :))

Just got a(nother) deep dome hood and lamp stand from your Mission Gorge location today. If you were there and the lady who rang us up, we were the couple with the baby Macedonian Hermann's.

This thread would be most appreciative (not sure why I am personifying it...) if you would post about events and such in here!

You would probably want to make a separate thread as well, but seeing as I and others will be subscribed to this, it would definitely help to maximize who sees the info you want disseminated. ;)

Do tell how attending/signing up for MV class works, as you obviously have an interested, captive (bred) audience in here. :D

Sidenote: I am so happy that this thread didn't just sink to the bottom of the new posts and disappear, lol.

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
jkingler said:
Hello, Jen! (And Kathy, and Renee, and Kimber! :))

Just got a(nother) deep dome hood and lamp stand from your Mission Gorge location today. If you were there and the lady who rang us up, we were the couple with the baby Macedonian Hermann's.

This thread would be most appreciative (not sure why I am personifying it...) if you would post about events and such in here!

You would probably want to make a separate thread as well, but seeing as I and others will be subscribed to this, it would definitely help to maximize who sees the info you want disseminated. ;)

Do tell how attending/signing up for MV class works, as you obviously have an interested, captive (bred) audience in here. :D

Sidenote: I am so happy that this thread didn't just sink to the bottom of the new posts and disappear, lol.

Sorry for the delay getting back to you guys!

Okay, deets on the viv class - You do need to sign up at the Mission Gorge store specifically, buttttt the good news is that you can just call in if you're not close by, and pay over the phone. If you want you can also join the event on the Mission Valley store's facebook page, as any changes or new details will be updated there. http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/LLLReptileMissionValley

Cost for this is $69, and you get:
1 medium ZooMed 12 x 12 x18" terrarium
1 ZooMed 12 x18" cork or forest tile background
1 ZooMed waterfall kit with pump, tubing, and mesh
hydroton
Eco Earth bedding
Frog Moss
Medium Mopani
Small Water Dish
72" Flexible Vines
2 live plants in 4" pots OR 1 Bromeliad
2 tillandsias
Bundle of Spanish Moss
2 decorative rock pieces
1 scoop of rock for the water feature

The store will reopen briefly afterwards to allow people to grab other stuff that they would like to add to their cages. It'll take place on Sunday, March 11th, at the the Mission Gorge store. Only one vivarium can be made per person, but if you want to prepay for a couple to bring some friends or family members you can. However, they gotta show up to build it...any vivs not built the amount spent on the fee gets turned into store credit, so make sure you show up!
These classes are always a TON of fun, we provide beverages and the owner himself is there demonstrating the techniques.

I was not the lady that rang you up, that was Amanda, who is also very nice and helps keep that store running. :) If any of you are ever up in the Menifee store, that's where you'll usually find me.

Looking forward to seeing you guys there!!

-Jen

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
That sounds like fun. When and where? I need a new viv for baby turles. Would this be good for baby boxies?

What do you all think about meeting for breakfast or lunch somewhere? Maybe we could start a monthly breakfast club :)

cljohnson

5 Year Member
Hey Joe

Great idea starting this thread.
I hope it catches on.
It would be a very cool to have a place to keep abreast of local events info and just chat with other SD Tort geeks.
I guess you know by now I am Chris.
I live in Serra Mesa.
I am new to Torts but I have been keeping Herps of and on since I first started catching Horny Toads in the 70s and breeding them to sell to the local pet store.
Sorry it might be partly my fault you don't see them anymore.
Anyway let's keep this thread alive an going. Talk to you later.

cljohnson said:
Hey Joe

I hope it catches on.
It would be a very cool to have a place to keep abreast of local events info and just chat with other SD Tort geeks.
I live in Serra Mesa.
I am new to Torts but I have been keeping Herps off and on since I first started catching Horny Toads in the 70s and breeding them to sell to the local pet store.

cljohnson said:
Hey Joe

I hope it catches on.
I live in Serra Mesa.
I am new to Torts but I have been keeping Herps off and on since I first started catching Horny Toads in the 70s and breeding them to sell to the local pet store.

Sorry about the multiple posts my iPhone crashed. I had to restart it then it wigged out.
I'm still rockin' the 3G.
I'm buying a new one when I get my tax return.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I'm going to sign up tomorrow!!!!! This sounds like so much fun!

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
Angi said:
That sounds like fun. When and where? I need a new viv for baby turles. Would this be good for baby boxies?

What do you all think about meeting for breakfast or lunch somewhere? Maybe we could start a monthly breakfast club :)

If you click the link, it's got more details for you, but it'll be at our Mission Valley store on March 11th.

The vivarium is only 12 x 12 x 18, with a waterfall in it, so I am not sure it would work for baby box turtles. But it'd be awesome for lots of other things!

-Jen

jkingler

5 Year Member
Do you have a separate rate for if we do not want the 12x12x18 enclosure? I am happy with my enclosures at the moment, but the peripherals sound pretty neat. :D

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
jkingler said:
Do you have a separate rate for if we do not want the 12x12x18 enclosure? I am happy with my enclosures at the moment, but the peripherals sound pretty neat. :D

Sorry, it's essentially a class on how to build a waterfall vivarium - view it like you're paying a fee to go to a class, and those are the materials you get when you go to class. :) There's only the one size available. You can always ask for help on building a larger one though, it's tons of fun and the manager down there in Mission Valley (Nate, the tattooed guy) is great at putting them together!

-Jen

mobtech

5 Year Member
I live in southern riverside county, but am willing to go to sd. ;-)

jkingler

5 Year Member
Nice. I hope this thread will result in some fun meet-ups in the future.

Seeing as I have no immediate use for a viv of that size, I will pass on that for now, but I am really glad to have had the information - I would likely go to something similar if it more neatly fit my immediate needs, so be sure to keep keeping us posted in here. :D

Note: I would still be very interested in attending that breakfast (and I even have some good places I could recommend, assuming others don't have strong preferences already)!

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
mobtech said:
I live in southern riverside county, but am willing to go to sd. ;-)

You know there's a Menifee store... Right off the 215... and we do workshops and fun stuff too...
Actually speaking of that, Menifee is having a Pet Workshop on February 18th. We're probably going to be discussing chameleon care but if any of you are at all interested, you're more than welcome to come visit!

jkingler

5 Year Member
N2TORTS, you're a San Diegan, too? Awesome. :D

I am a Kearny Komet, myself (even though I hate the willful-illiteracy needed to make that stretch of alliteration).

Status
Not open for further replies.