Who else has Cyclura?

xphare

Location (City and/or State)
Denver
Was gone from TF for awhile but thought I would try to start a thread for cyclura for the fun of it!

Rudiger is my 2.5 yr old male Cuban Rock Iguana (C. Nubila) and Francois is my 3 month old Rhino (C. Cornuta).

Both are from Ty Park. Although I do not know Rudiger's parents, I waited a year for a male hatchling from the big male Ty has named Donkey Kong. If you don't know who he is I'm sure you can YouTube him and now that I think about it Jay Brewer posted a video of him on his YouTube page.

Who else has or loves Cyclura?

IMG_0266.jpeg
IMG_0466.jpeg

xphare

Denver
Welcome.
I'm very familiar with Green iguanas.
This place is crawling with them.
But Rhinos are a rare sight.
Yeah, I haven't been on the site for a long time so thank you for the welcome lol!
Yes, I can only imagine how crazy it is down there in Florida. Fortunate for you, the West Indies aren't that far so you can just go see Cyclura in the wild but much easier said than done.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Never had one of my own, but appreciate the ones that other have had. Rhinos are my favorite. Came so close to getting them so many times, but never did. Post lots of pics of yours so that we can enjoy them from afar.

xphare

Denver
Never had one of my own, but appreciate the ones that other have had. Rhinos are my favorite. Came so close to getting them so many times, but never did. Post lots of pics of yours so that we can enjoy them from afar.

I will make sure to stay on top of this thread so everyone can enjoy.

Why did you not get a rhino If you don't mind me asking?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I will make sure to stay on top of this thread so everyone can enjoy.

Why did you not get a rhino If you don't mind me asking?
I already have too much to take care of and not enough time. That's been the case since I was a kid. There are soooooo many reptile species that I like. Reptile shows are torture for me. I want to keep so many species, but I just can't keep everything. Cylcura have always been at the top of that list, but I never got one for one reason or another.

xphare

Denver
I already have too much to take care of and not enough time. That's been the case since I was a kid. There are soooooo many reptile species that I like. Reptile shows are torture for me. I want to keep so many species, but I just can't keep everything. Cylcura have always been at the top of that list, but I never got one for one reason or another.

Yeah I can definitely relate with the reptile shows! I have a total of 9 reptiles, the only thing I haven't posted would be my leopard tortoise, diamondback terrapin and leopard gecko. I can't have anything more until I move to AZ because all my enclosures take up so much space but I can't bring myself to put snakes in small enclosures to save on space so I just have to wait lol

There are so many reptiles I want to even keep track of at this point but like you said, can't keep everything. The only thing I really want is an Aldabra but that is going to have to wait as well. My Cyclura take up a lot of time as well so I see your point. Im sure you have much more mouths to feed than me.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah I can definitely relate with the reptile shows! I have a total of 9 reptiles, the only thing I haven't posted would be my leopard tortoise, diamondback terrapin and leopard gecko. I can't have anything more until I move to AZ because all my enclosures take up so much space but I can't bring myself to put snakes in small enclosures to save on space so I just have to wait lol

There are so many reptiles I want to even keep track of at this point but like you said, can't keep everything. The only thing I really want is an Aldabra but that is going to have to wait as well. My Cyclura take up a lot of time as well so I see your point. Im sure you have much more mouths to feed than me.
I find this topic interesting and discuss it often. With so many fantastic species available, how do people like you and me decide which ones to work with? I often look at people's choices and shake my head in wonderment. I look at other people's choices and turn green with envy. I've been keeping reptiles since I was a little boy in the 70s. Really got into them in the mid 80s, and have had a varied collection going since then. So many favorites over a lot of years, and for such a wide variety of reasons.

I think it would be fun to list species we've had, species we have, and species we'd like to have if we had unlimited time and resources. I think I'll start a new thread with this idea in mind, so as not to hijack your thread here.

xphare

Denver
I find this topic interesting and discuss it often. With so many fantastic species available, how do people like you and me decide which ones to work with? I often look at people's choices and shake my head in wonderment. I look at other people's choices and turn green with envy. I've been keeping reptiles since I was a little boy in the 70s. Really got into them in the mid 80s, and have had a varied collection going since then. So many favorites over a lot of years, and for such a wide variety of reasons.

I think it would be fun to list species we've had, species we have, and species we'd like to have if we had unlimited time and resources. I think I'll start a new thread with this idea in mind, so as not to hijack your thread here.

I definitely think you should start that thread! I would love to hear what people have kept and worked with in the past especially in the 70's and 80's. The possibilities are endless. Please let me know when you start it because that would be awesome!

Sometimes I see peoples' group of animals and I just don't understand why they keep so much of the same thing. If you have a true passion for the species that's one thing but if you have 13 ball pythons for example and you don't breed them and just keep them because they are 'easy' I don't quite understand. I personally keep animals as I kid I thought I would never own or see in person. I remember seeing pictures of retics in magazines/books or on animal planet and I always remember how they made me feel back then and now. I remember Steve Irwin had a retic on his show and I was mesmerized. Rhino iguanas were something I had only seen on tv.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Very pretty (or handsome). I am enjoying this thread too. Thanks for sharing

g4mobile

5 Year Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Beautiful iguanas and I can't wait to purchase C. Nubila and possibly Banana Pectinata from Ty. I'm in South FL and plan to visit the iguana park he's building. I would love to have more animals, but need to keep it small. I am interested in another tortoise as well. MEP or SA Leopard. Haven't decided, but now leaning more toward SA Leopard. I use my kids an excuse to get more animals with my wife, but I think she's on to it!

xphare

Denver
Beautiful iguanas and I can't wait to purchase C. Nubila and possibly Banana Pectinata from Ty. I'm in South FL and plan to visit the iguana park he's building. I would love to have more animals, but need to keep it small. I am interested in another tortoise as well. MEP or SA Leopard. Haven't decided, but now leaning more toward SA Leopard. I use my kids an excuse to get more animals with my wife, but I think she's on to it!
Thank you! Are you going to IguanaFest in April? C. Nubila is one of my favorites. I unfortunately do not have any Ctenosaura so when you get a baby please post pictures!

g4mobile

5 Year Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Thank you! Are you going to IguanaFest in April? C. Nubila is one of my favorites. I unfortunately do not have any Ctenosaura so when you get a baby please post pictures!
I plan to attend. It’s a 2hr Drive for me.