White Substance / Sulcata

Location (City and/or State)
SPRING HILL
Grainy white substance, I believe my sulcata tortoise is peeing or pooping I am not sure. I read the it was uric acid ? I put him in a nice warm bath on the porch supervised to get sun as well , and he seems to be eating perfectly fine , very active with basking periods through out the day .

Attachments

• 20211003_142916.jpg
    20211003_142916.jpg
    843.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20211003_152041.jpg
    20211003_152041.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9

nicoleann2214

NY
Grainy white substance, I believe my sulcata tortoise is peeing or pooping I am not sure. I read the it was uric acid ? I put him in a nice warm bath on the porch supervised to get sun as well , and he seems to be eating perfectly fine , very active with basking periods through out the day .
It’s probably urates they come out when they pee sometimes. If they are chalky hard your tortoise needs to be more hydrated. I wouldn’t feed your tortoise carrots.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes they are urates. Gritty means the tort is not hydrated good enough.
Get him in a closed chamber with 80% humidity and daily 30 minute warm water soaks.
Do not feed carrots.
But what are you feeding him?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
This is the caresheet you need
That will tell you about diet temps etc.
Carrots can be a choking hazard even for large sullies.

SPRING HILL
Yes they are urates. Gritty means the tort is not hydrated good enough.
Get him in a closed chamber with 80% humidity and daily 30 minute warm water soaks.
Do not feed carrots.
But what are you feeding him?
He goes outside everyday for about an hour and he gets 35 minutes of warm bath time everyday. I did do bell peppers twice which he loved but I seen they were not good for them. Mustard greens , hibiscus, collard greens , soft grass pellets but he doesn't seem to like those that much. Also he has a succulent plant in his enclosure, cantaloupe once in a while with calcium supplement sprinkled 3x a week .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No fruit either.
A wider variety of food needs to be added to the greens you feed. Collards should not be a daily diet.
Endive, radicchio, spring mix without a lot of spinach. More weeds and leaves if you have them available. While having gritty urates add some romaine to the daily diet but not his only diet.
Closed chamber with 80% humidity.
Follow the caresheet Lyn W linked for you.