White stuff on turtle shell

katmarsh

Jaws is my Red eared slider, who is 11'' long and 14 years old, and there have been white stuff on her shell for some time and now after she shed a lot of her shell off, the white look like it got bigger. I also looked at her belly and saw that there was some white there too.

get-attachment.aspx

get-attachment.aspx

get-attachment.aspx

She has been acting strange. She is hyperactive, restless and tries to climb out of her tank. She also wont lay on her log to lay in the light of the heat lamp.
Can someone please help me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Katmarsh, and welcome to the Forum!

If you use a picture program in AOL, none of us can see it unless we have an AOL account and are logged in.

Without being able to actually see what you're talking about, I can only guess. I GUESS that you have two things going on. The first one is that the top layer of keratin on the shell is getting ready to peel off. This is quite normal, and as it lifts, air/water get under it and it changes color. The other thing that may be going on is she's looking for a place to lay eggs. My sister usually takes her lone female RES out to the box turtle pen when she shows signs of egg laying. The turtle digs a hole, lays the eggs then gets brought back in.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Yup. And its not what I thought. Try scrubbing that with a soft bristle tooth brush dipped in a little vinegar and see if it goes away.

katmarsh

i looks like some white is gone but not all of it and yes her has sins that she needs to lay eggs