White stuff on shell & salt water baths?

Skyisthebest

Hey guys, I just received a tiny turtle from a friend as he is unable to keep him... and so I decided to take this little guy in. I figured if I acted immediately I would be able to help this little guy.

His shell has some white stuff on it and it's actually quite bad at the back... I've read somewhere online that to treat this white fungus stuff we can give the turtle a salt water bath? So basically soak the turtle for 30mins in salt water and take him out to dry, and the salt that gets left behind will help kill the fungus growing on the turtle.

Has anyone heard or tried this? Just wanted to check if it's safe for the little guy, because reptile vets are not exactly good here in my country and I'm still looking for a decent reptile vet. Thanks in advance.

Skyisthebest

Also, I bought this anti bacteria treater and have just used it once. So I'm not sure of its effects yet. I dried him first then drip a few drops on his shell and spread it out with a cotton bud. I left him for half an hour then wash off the solution before putting him back in his tank.

But here are the details

Attachments

• 1479796208595.jpg
    1479796208595.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 1479796217942.jpg
    1479796217942.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 8

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
I may be wrong, but that looks like a calcium build up from hard water on the back of this Red Eared Slider. I wouldn't say it's anything to be worried about.

Can you give us a close up of some of the white please?

Skyisthebest

The white disappears by quite a lot when he is in water. It is only very obvious when he is dry... but I have tried scrubbing his shell with a soft toothbrush but it doesn't come off.

I'll take another picture tmr morning when I take him out to bask in the sun.

If it is the problem with the water... how can I treat it to make the white stuff go away?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Limescale is hard to shift, if that is what it is. A soft toothbrush won't do anything.

A stiff nailbrush might be more successful, but otherwise just accept it.

If your water is less hard then it will reduce slowly with time. Don't use chemicals on it - they may harm your your tortoise.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I don't think it's calcium buildup, not sure what it is, though. I'm just wondering, do you have a basking spot for your turtle to dry off under?

Skyisthebest

Yes he has a basking spot. All conditions are kept the same as when I had my previous turtle and he was very healthy with no problems at all. I just got this turtle a few days ago, so I'm not very sure how he was kept before I got him actually. If it really is fungus what can I do without using any chemicals?

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Yes he has a basking spot. All conditions are kept the same as when I had my previous turtle and he was very healthy with no problems at all. I just got this turtle a few days ago, so I'm not very sure how he was kept before I got him actually. If it really is fungus what can I do without using any chemicals?

Is it hard or soft and mushy? Is that area pealing at all?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
If you go at it with your thumbnail does it scrape off?

Skyisthebest

I hope this picture is clear enough.

And no I can't remove it with my nail, and it doesn't feel soft or mushy. But when I tried to scrape it off with my nail I think he felt pain, because he closed his eyes and retreated slightly into his shell...

1479889520472.jpg

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
If you could ask your friend if the turtle had access to UVB before, maybe its some sort of shedding issue?

Skyisthebest

Yes it is a Mercury Vapour Bulb. Also I have realised that his shell has a slimy coat (water changed about 3 days ago, I always change once a week) but it is invisible. Is this something to do with the white stuff on his shell as well?

Berkeley

It is a shell fungus, and it is under the outer layer of keratin on the scutes. It's not hardwater/calcium/lime buildup.

--Berkeley