White stuff on rf hatchling shell... just hard water?

GoodnessGrace

Location (City and/or State)
Denver
Hello! I'm an experienced mammal owner, but have never cared for reptiles before. I got a redfoot hatchling (about 3 inches) last week and set up a nice 'rainforesty' enclosure (pictured) and hes got a nice little outdoor enclosure too!

My problem living in Denver is how dry it is, usually 20-40% humidity altho it gets nice and hot almost every day (80-90 degrees in the sun). So his enclousre has a humidifier running 24/7 for 75-85% humidity at ambient 80-85 degree temps and I soak him every morning before his meal. Right now there's just coconut coir, i have some spaghum moss on the way so he stays a little cleaner but he seems to enjoy burrowing in it so far.

On these sunny summer days I put him out in the outdoor enclosure in the 10-noon sun, wet his basking rock and substrate for humidity and have a water dish available. I also give him a soak when he comes inside.

The problem is the little bit of white buildup I'm noticing on some scutes. Inexperienced as I am, it doesn't look like growth lines or fungus/rot, but maybe water buildup from the hard water here in the mountain city? Is it too humid, or too much soaking? It amounts to 10-30 mins a day.

Could anyone with more experience weigh in? Hopefully its nothing but if something is wrong, it would be good to head it off early! Thanks bunches!

Attachments

• 20200611_124004.jpg
    20200611_124004.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 65
  • 15919043798107377841953515391487.jpg
    15919043798107377841953515391487.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 65
  • 15919044421698025948212258964583.jpg
    15919044421698025948212258964583.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 61

GoodnessGrace

Denver
Hello! I'm an experienced mammal owner, but have never cared for reptiles before. I got a redfoot hatchling (about 3 inches) last week and set up a nice 'rainforesty' enclosure (pictured) and hes got a nice little outdoor enclosure too!

My problem living in Denver is how dry it is, usually 20-40% humidity altho it gets nice and hot almost every day (80-90 degrees in the sun). So his enclousre has a humidifier running 24/7 for 75-85% humidity at ambient 80-85 degree temps and I soak him every morning before his meal. Right now there's just coconut coir, i have some spaghum moss on the way so he stays a little cleaner but he seems to enjoy burrowing in it so far.

On these sunny summer days I put him out in the outdoor enclosure in the 10-noon sun, wet his basking rock and substrate for humidity and have a water dish available. I also give him a soak when he comes inside.

The problem is the little bit of white buildup I'm noticing on some scutes. Inexperienced as I am, it doesn't look like growth lines or fungus/rot, but maybe water buildup from the hard water here in the mountain city? Is it too humid, or too much soaking? It amounts to 10-30 mins a day.

Could anyone with more experience weigh in? Hopefully its nothing but if something is wrong, it would be good to head it off early! Thanks bunches!

Attachments

• 15919049719533530044197874063040.jpg
    15919049719533530044197874063040.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 26

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I'm not sure what that is but I don't think it's anything to worry about. Your can try lightly brushing it with a toothbrush and see if it comes off. If it doesn't it wouldn't hurt to apply some cheap anti fungal cream to the area. I don't think it's fungus but it won't hurt to use the medicine.

zovick

10 Year Member!

It looks like the minerals which are left when the water evaporates off the tortoise's shell. Usually it is a calcium compound of some sort, like calcium carbonate. That is the compound which forms stalactites and stalagmites in caves. You may be able to get it off the shell by using a cotton swab dipped in vinegar to swab it periodically as it builds up. Just be careful not to get the vinegar in the tortoises eyes and then to rinse it off the shell when you are done. Vinegar is not poisonous, but it does sting if it gets in the eyes.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't keep RFs but I used to get those hard water stains on other species. The way I avoid it now is to spray the carapace with de-mineralized water after soaks and any other time. Distilled, RO, or collected rainwater. I use tap or well water for soaking and drinking, but the rainwater rinse prevents those unsightly deposits from forming.

I see others have advised you on other points, but I wanted to mention that the red bulbs, and the ramped water bowls are not the best way to go. I think you've already gotten this info, but wanted one more voice to affirm what's been said already.

GoodnessGrace

Denver
I don't keep RFs but I used to get those hard water stains on other species. The way I avoid it now is to spray the carapace with de-mineralized water after soaks and any other time. Distilled, RO, or collected rainwater. I use tap or well water for soaking and drinking, but the rainwater rinse prevents those unsightly deposits from forming.

I see others have advised you on other points, but I wanted to mention that the red bulbs, and the ramped water bowls are not the best way to go. I think you've already gotten this info, but wanted one more voice to affirm what's been said already.

That spraying/rinsing with tip esp with rainwater sounds really good, I get plenty on the balcony

Yeah that red bulb was certainly an uninformed purchase... A couple CHE were supposed to arrive today but are delayed. Is that suitable or do u also recommend RHP?

Maybe I missed where someone said about the ramped water bowl? How come? He does climb out the corners onto the rocks, is it a high chance of flipping or something? I have some plant pot saucers that could work

(Btw I'm saying 'he' based on just a hunch and his constant head bobbing and I dont like saying 'it'. Tortoise pronouns ?)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That spraying/rinsing with tip esp with rainwater sounds really good, I get plenty on the balcony

Yeah that red bulb was certainly an uninformed purchase... A couple CHE were supposed to arrive today but are delayed. Is that suitable or do u also recommend RHP?

Maybe I missed where someone said about the ramped water bowl? How come? He does climb out the corners onto the rocks, is it a high chance of flipping or something? I have some plant pot saucers that could work

(Btw I'm saying 'he' based on just a hunch and his constant head bobbing and I dont like saying 'it'. Tortoise pronouns ?)
I prefer RHPs because they spread the heat out more evenly and over a greater area, but CHEs can also work in this application.

Many tortoises have flipped and drowned in the ramped bowls. Some of them just have the sense to avoid them and go thristy. Terra cotta plant saucers sunk into the substrate work best.

GoodnessGrace

Denver
I prefer RHPs because they spread the heat out more evenly and over a greater area, but CHEs can also work in this application.

Many tortoises have flipped and drowned in the ramped bowls. Some of them just have the sense to avoid them and go thristy. Terra cotta plant saucers sunk into the substrate work best.

Ok cool, I'll switch to CHEs for now. I should be out of this apartment and into a house within a year, then I'll build a bigger and sturdier enclosure and get some RHPs for it.

I'll also switch to a pot saucer and retire the ramped bowl for bunny food lol at least its too heavy to flip. Thanks a lot for your advice, I really appreciate it!!