White spots

ButtercupG

Hi there. I've read that white spots can be normal growth on the carapace but I'm not sure and would like your advice. One spot in particular doesn't sit right with me. I noticed it a couple months ago and someone mentioned the new growth but it seems worse now. Any help, suggestions would be appreciated. Buttercup is about 14 years old 16" long (carapace) very healthy otherwise. Im not sure if this could be something fungal now. Thanks in advance!

20160911_152930.jpg 20160911_152858.jpg 20160911_152845.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Speedy-1

Location (City and/or State)
St. David Arizona
I am going to guess that you have hard water , or a lot of minerals in your water ! Speedy's shell has always had some white , it comes off with a stiff tooth brush. It doesn't hurt him and he doesn't like the brushing , so I just leave it alone now ! Take a brush to it and see what happens !

100_8266.jpg

ButtercupG

Yes, we have hard water but this is after a bath and I used a scrub brush. Which she seems to enjoy lol.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Yes, we have hard water but this is after a bath and I used a scrub brush. Which she seems to enjoy lol.
We have hard well water. If she likes the brushing you are lucky. If you really want a nice looking shell you can get some organic , food grade coconut oil. Rub it in , buff it , and make sure you wipe off all the excess. It will look nice , to me it isn't worth the time or money ! But that's just me !

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Have you recently allowed the tortoise to sit under a light or heat emitter? It looks like the new growth in those sections has been burned, or at least are very dry. some of that "white" is just natural pigmentation, but it does look like pretty dry new growth.

ButtercupG

Thanks for your replies.....No heat lights recently. She has been outdoors most of the summer. I will give her more frequent soaks in the tub to see if that helps then. :)