White spot on turtle's neck

SunnyC

Location (City and/or State)
NY
I recently upgraded to a 100 gallon tub for my three turtles. After a week or so, I noticed that one of my turtles had a patch of skin missing on her neck. There had been signs of aggression from another turtle (leg biting/nail fluttering) prior. Thinking that she had been bitten by another turtle (I could be wrong), I immediately separated the injured turtle in a separate tank for a few weeks.

Just today, I noticed that the injured turtle developed a white patch below the initial injury. I've done some light research online and it may be a fungal infection. I would greatly appreciate if anyone can share some tips to help heal my turtle. Thank you!

Initial injury:
IMG_4797.JPG

White spot:
IMG_4958.JPGIMG_4959.JPGIMG_4960.JPG

SunnyC

NY
I recently upgraded to a 100 gallon tub for my three turtles. After a week or so, I noticed that one of my turtles had a patch of skin missing on her neck. There had been signs of aggression from another turtle (leg biting/nail fluttering) prior. Thinking that she had been bitten by another turtle (I could be wrong), I immediately separated the injured turtle in a separate tank for a few weeks.

Just today, I noticed that the injured turtle developed a white patch below the initial injury. I've done some light research online and it may be a fungal infection. I would greatly appreciate if anyone can share some tips to help heal my turtle. Thank you!

Initial injury:
View attachment 296857

White spot:
View attachment 296858View attachment 296859View attachment 296860
oops, I just realized this was a forum specialized for tortoises. hoping there might be some turtle experts out here...

Reactions: Ink

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
We definitely have ppl on here that love turtles too! Just give it a bit and I'm sure they will pop on! ?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I think it's just like a scab. @Markw84 or @Yvonne G might be able to give you some advice.

zovick

10 Year Member!

Initial injury:
View attachment 296857

White spot:
View attachment 296858View attachment 296859View attachment 296860

Hi,

The initial injury does look like a bite wound. The smaller new one looks like fungal infection. My advice to treat that is to get some Gentian Violet at a drug store, put some on a cotton swab and apply it to the area once or twice daily. It won't hurt anything to put it on the original wound either if it still seems to be irritated or starts looking white like the smaller one.

Please note: Gentian Violet is a very dark purple liquid and will stain anything with which it comes in contact, so be careful not to spill it or drip it on anything. It is a good idea to put a few layers of newspaper or some old towels or rags under the area where you are working on the turtle to protect floors, desk tops, etc.

You will need to let it dry on the affected area before putting the turtle back into its water, so you may need to put it in a tub with no water for about 10-15 minutes after getting the area swabbed with the medication. You could put some damp sphagnum moss in the tub if you wish.

Last edited:

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Hi,

The initial injury does look like a bite wound. The smaller new one looks like fungal infection. My advice to treat that is to get some Gentian Violet at a drug store, put some on a cotton swab and apply it to the area once or twice daily. It won't hurt anything to put it on the original wound either if it still seems to be irritated or starts looking white like the smaller one.

Please note: Gentian Violet is a very dark purple liquid and will stain anything with which it comes in contact, so be careful not to spill it or drip it on anything. It is a good idea to put a few layers of newspaper or some old towels or rags under the area where you are working on the turtle to protect floors, desk tops, etc.

You will need to let it dry on the affected area before putting the turtle back into its water, so you may need to put it in a tub with no water for about 10-15 minutes after getting the area swabbed with the medication. You could put some damp sphagnum moss in the tub if you wish.
Gentian violet is really good stuff! Definitely stains anything though just like he said

SunnyC

NY
Hi,

Another possible treatment might be to get some ich treatment which is used for tropical fish and put it in the water as directed for the fish, but I think doing it that way will take longer to cure the problem if it does work.
Ok thanks! I'll give this a try

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I also agree that it's most likely a bite mark.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Ok thanks! I'll give this a try

Please note I removed the paragraph about using the ich treatment from my original post (#5). I decided it probably won't work because it is for protozoans and Gentian Violet is for fungus which is most likely what your turtle has.

SunnyC

NY
Please note I removed the paragraph about using the ich treatment from my original post (#5). I decided it probably won't work because it is for protozoans and Gentian Violet is for fungus which is most likely what your tortoise has.
It's all good, I never got a chance to read your original comment regarding the ich treatment. I have a couple of questions regarding the Gentian Violet; will my turtle experience any side effects from using the medicine? Do I need to wash the medicine after a certain period of time?

thanks

zovick

10 Year Member!
It's all good, I never got a chance to read your original comment regarding the ich treatment. I have a couple of questions regarding the Gentian Violet; will my turtle experience any side effects from using the medicine? Do I need to wash the medicine after a certain period of time?

thanks
I have used it many times on turtles and tortoises with skin lesions and shell rot with no problems. Since it is a topical treatment rather than a medication that is being given orally or injected, there are virtually no problems or side effects from using it.

Don't try to wash it off the turtle. It will wear off in time. There is no way you can wash it off without using a harsh liquid like alcohol which would not be advisable on your turtle as it is close to the eyes. If it gets on your own skin, though, you can try getting it off of your skin with alcohol.

SunnyC

NY
I have used it many times on turtles and tortoises with skin lesions and shell rot with no problems. Since it is a topical treatment rather than a medication that is being given orally or injected, there are virtually no problems or side effects from using it.

Don't try to wash it off the turtle. It will wear off in time. There is no way you can wash it off without using a harsh liquid like alcohol which would not be advisable on your turtle as it is close to the eyes. If it gets on your own skin, though, you can try getting it off of your skin with alcohol.
Okay thanks for the clarification, I really appreciate your help!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
The injury is bite marks from another turtle. The smaller white mark looks to me like another, "softer" bite. Sliders, as part of their mating ritual, will have the male, not only flutter the long fingernails, but then progress to biting the back of the neck of the female below him. He will hang on and try to subdue her this way. It can and normally leads to wounds like this. I normally do not treat, and they heal easily on their own. As long as water quality in your set up is good it should be fine. Male sliders will also do this with other species at times. They can be quite aggressive in their mating rituals. For this reason I personally do not keep male sliders in my pond at all.

With a 100 gal setup for yellow bellies, you will find that is quite small and the aggression will be worse. I do not feel sliders are good turtles for tanks, and require a good size pond as adults to live well. This becomes even more the case with breeding adults.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
I had a tortoise that got a raw spot on his neck from a sharp edge on his shell. Being a tortoise I put adhesive tape on his shell and first aid ointment on his neck. His neck healed and after a couple months I took off the tape and all was OK.