White ring around shell

jonathanconti13

Hi everyone I have a Russian named yoshi. I recently noticed a white ring around his shell. After further research I have come to the conclusion it's a growth spurt and he is lacking something in his diet. I have him in a box with UVB light on and I'm guessing my son has not been giving him calcium on the regular. Can anyone tell me if I'm on the right path, suggest calcium dosage, and tell me how long the ring should last? Thanks

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Neverland!
Growth!

My Russians all have that ring. Then again, they're all rescues. I think its normal.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Feel free to post a picture so we can tell you for sure, but white around scutes is new growth and completely normal...has nothing to do with calcium or lack of. How big is your russian, so we can help with calcium amount...usually just a small sprinle dusted over food 2-3 times a week, some hatchlings, gravid females, or unheathy torts may require a bit more, some less as they get older. What makes you think something is lacking in diet? Maybe we can help...what are you or your son feeding him now?

Oh and welcome to the forum:)