White ring around Russians shell

tqc916

5 Year Member
Hello everyone. I have a yearling russian who seems to have a ring around its shell. Any idea what this could be. I've only had her for about a month.

ugh for some reason I cannot upload a picture. Will try again

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Do you have very hard water? Could this be a ring of minerals at the water line where he soaks?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It could be a 'new growth' line. Russians, when fed too much, tend to put on a wide light-colored band just above the bottom line of scutes.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
In captivity, RTs often grow in this way. The combination of not enough UVB, not enough calcium, more food, and often lower hydration mean that new growth appears 'waxy'. With proper care (natural sunlight or at the very least, high quality artificial UVB, enough calcium, healthy leafy greens like edible weeds, and enough water), the new growth will harden up and get darker, like the older growth. :)

tqc916 said:
Hello everyone. I have a yearling russian who seems to have a ring around its shell. Any idea what this could be. I've only had her for about a month.

ugh for some reason I cannot upload a picture. Will try again

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A ring is normal new growth. A wide band can indicate fast growth, wrong temps, wrong diet, lack of proper lighting or sunshine, etc.

I'm trying to zoom in on your avatar, and that looks like its not too bad, but I can't see it too well. Can you post a pic of the white ring in question?

tqc916

5 Year Member
Ok I finally figured out how to upload. Here is a picture.

image.jpgOk here is the pic. Finally figured out how to upload

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 121
Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The new growth looks okay, but you have some pyramiding. Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. Is your substrate damp? Humid hide?

I recommend against red bulbs. You should really be using a "daylight" bulb, or a MVB for UV, light and heat all in one.

tqc916

5 Year Member
Ok I will ditch the red build and get an all in one type bulb. Yes I do keep the substrate damp. I have a bottom layer of top soil and the top layer coco coir. The previous owner kept them in a rabbit cage with just newspaper. So I'm thinking that might have caused the pyramiding. Thank u so much for the input.

jason141

20150503_162741.jpg I was searching for the same white ring answers , can anyone comment on rockys shell? Thanks

jason141

Please someone answer , got him 3 weeks ago didnt have these rongs when i got hi

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
Please someone answer , got him 3 weeks ago didnt have these rongs when i got hi
Just looks like some new shell growth to me. It should not be anything to worry about. You will start to see it darken up soon to most likely macth the rest of the shell.