White poop

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Yes, c

Yes, closed chamber, humid hide, coconut coir substrate, haven't been able to find orchid bark yet, it's on back order, keep humidity at 85%+, soak 2× a day for 20 min, im not sure what else to do
How long have you had it. Most breeders don't start them correctly and your tort may be ridding itself of previously stored urates now that it is properly hydrated.

RoxyA

Fort Scott
How long have you had it. Most breeders don't start them correctly and your tort may be ridding itself of previously stored urates now that it is properly hydrated.
We've had him almost 4 weeks, he's about 3 inches

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We've had him almost 4 weeks, he's about 3 inches
You ought to weigh him weekly. That will give us and you an indication of how he's doing.

At 4 weeks he could still be getting rid of previously built up urates.

Where did you get him? That might give us some insight too.

RoxyA

Fort Scott
You ought to weigh him weekly. That will give us and you an indication of how he's doing.

I got him from tortoise supply, Tyler, I know they have a great reputation, that's why i ordered from them. He looks great! I thought he looked like the substrate was drying his skin when I first put it in his enclosure. I got zoo med coconut coir, it also stains him, I don't like it, but I'm having trouble getting the orchid bark. I keep it wet and have a humidifier going, the humidity levels are real good.

RoxyA

Fort Scott
I got him from tortoise supply, Tyler, I know they have a great reputation, that's why i ordered from them. He looks great! I thought he looked like the substrate was drying his skin when I first put it in his enclosure. I got zoo med coconut coir, it also stains him, I don't like it, but I'm having trouble getting the orchid bark. I keep it wet and have a humidifier going, the humidity levels are real good.
I weighed him and he weighs 63.8 grams

RoxyA

Fort Scott

RoxyA

Fort Scott

He also is only 2.3 inches from front to back of shell, not 3, I was guessing and then actually measured him

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is good weight. You are not likely to have any trouble getting this one to survive.

Humidifiers shouldn't be used over tortoises. Maintain humidity by using a closed chamber.

Order 24 quart bags of Repti-Bark on Chewy.com if you can't find it at local nurseries in bulk.

RoxyA

Fort Scott
That is good weight. You are not likely to have any trouble getting this one to survive.

Humidifiers shouldn't be used over tortoises. Maintain humidity by using a closed chamber.

Order 24 quart bags of Repti-Bark on Chewy.com if you can't find it at local nurseries in bulk.
It's a zoo med reptifogger, should i take it out then? Also I will order the repti-bark, I wasn't sure what was in it and if it was safe. Thank you for all of the help

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It's a zoo med reptifogger, should i take it out then?
I would.

Have you seen this:

RoxyA

Fort Scott
I would.

Have you seen this:
Ok ill remove it, I have had to turn it off alot because the humidity gets so high, probably because it is a closed chamber. That will also be easier. Thanks so much for your help.

RoxyA

Fort Scott

I weighed my tortoise again, last time was when i posted on July 5th and he weighed 63.8 grams, yesterday weighed 69.5. Is that a good enough weight gain? He seems to be doing great & no more urates. I'm just not sure how much they usually gain in a week. Thanks for all of the help

RoxyA

Fort Scott
Hi it's me again, same problem, oxylates. This is the first time its happened since I posted before. He's in a closed chamber, temperatures are great, humidity is great. I have probe gages and thermometers for those in every corner. His diet: mixed baby greens minus the spinach, arugula, turnip greens, mustard greens, bok choy, Romaine, butter & red lettuce, mulberry, dandelion, & grape leaves, several natural grasses, sweet Clover leaves and flowers, wide plantain leaves, a mixture of zoo med, lugarti premium, and mazuri tortoise diet. He has a tortoise block and a cuttlebone. I sprinkle calcium powder w D3 and herptivite twice a week. He gets soaked for 20 min twice a day and always has water in his enclosure. He eats like a piggy and poops normal. All of the foods I mentioned he gets daily, I have alot of natural food growing in my yard. I give him a little kale about once a week also. I don't know what else to do. He's growing and looks perfect and healthy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

RoxyA

Fort Scott
Hi it's me again, same problem, oxylates. This is the first time its happened since I posted before. He's in a closed chamber, temperatures are great, humidity is great. I have probe gages and thermometers for those in every corner. His diet: mixed baby greens minus the spinach, arugula, turnip greens, mustard greens, bok choy, Romaine, butter & red lettuce, mulberry, dandelion, & grape leaves, several natural grasses, sweet Clover leaves and flowers, wide plantain leaves, a mixture of zoo med, lugarti premium, and mazuri tortoise diet. He has a tortoise block and a cuttlebone. I sprinkle calcium powder w D3 and herptivite twice a week. He gets soaked for 20 min twice a day and always has water in his enclosure. He eats like a piggy and poops normal. All of the foods I mentioned he gets daily, I have alot of natural food growing in my yard. I give him a little kale about once a week also. I don't know what else to do. He's growing and looks perfect and healthy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
I just realized i typed oxylates instead of urates, anyway, white sand pee. Can anyone give me some advise please? Thanks

RoxyA

Fort Scott
Every tortoise is different. He should feel kinda heavy for his size...sorta like a rock. Steady weight gain is what you are striving for.
View attachment 329073
Hi I posted a new question but no one has responded, I'm not sure how this works or if I'm posting right so I thought I'd message a reply to someone in hopes that they'll see it. Can you help me? It's about urates again, Thanks

ZenHerper

New Jersey
It really helps if you post photos of what you are seeing at home.

Urates are a specialized kind of urine gunk that the kidneys make when:
*a reptile is inadequately hydrated (living in drought conditions in the wild, or taking in too little water in captivity);
*there is too much protein in the diet (eating the wrong foods, or an otherwise unbalanced diet)

Are you finding urates, or seeing stool that is full of undigested cuttlefish bone? What are the staple greens that you are feeding daily?

It can take a while to correct dehydration and dietary problems. Daily soaks and sprinkling water over appropriate greens helps. Reptiles develop metabolic problems slowly, and resolve them slowly.

Without photos it is not possible to give specific suggestions with confidence.

RoxyA

Fort Scott

*a reptile is inadequately hydrated (living in drought conditions in the wild, or taking in too little water in captivity);
*there is too much protein in the diet (eating the wrong foods, or an otherwise unbalanced diet)

Are you finding urates, or seeing stool that is full of undigested cuttlefish bone? What are the staple greens that you are feeding daily?

It can take a while to correct dehydration and dietary problems. Daily soaks and sprinkling water over appropriate greens helps. Reptiles develop metabolic problems slowly, and resolve them slowly.

I listed his food in my post, he has all of that every day. I also soak him twice a day for 20 min each soak. I don't know if you can look back at my earlier posts but there was a picture. He's only done this 3 times since I got him but it's grainy like sand

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Urates is fine and normal think of it as wee and waste. Reading your post 35 you seem to have it all correct what is the concern? With regular soaks and good hydration it will go more milky. Keep a weight log and monitor growth weekly.