White poop

RoxyA

Location (City and/or State)
Fort Scott
I put a cuttlebone in with my baby sulcata, hes been eating it, quite a bit actually. Is there a point where its too much because today he pooped some grainy white stuff in the water during his soak. He eats alot of food, has an incredible appetite, seems really healthy and hes active, poop is usually normal. This is the first time it has happened so I'm assuming it's from the cuttlebone. Should I take it out of his enclosure or leave it in there?

San Diego
It could be urates. Tortoises poop, pee, and fornicate all out of the same hole, their cloaca. Their pee comes out either as a white powder substance ranging to cottage cheese texture depending on how hydrated the tortoise is. If they "pooped" a white substance, I'd think it to really be tortoise pee rather than anything abnormal. I'd recommend to leave the cuttlebone in the enclosure but if you take it out, make sure to dust your tortoise's food with calcium powder a few times a week.

RoxyA

Fort Scott
It could be urates. Tortoises poop, pee, and fornicate all out of the same hole, their cloaca. Their pee comes out either as a white powder substance ranging to cottage cheese texture depending on how hydrated the tortoise is. If they "pooped" a white substance, I'd think it to really be tortoise pee rather than anything abnormal. I'd recommend to leave the cuttlebone in the enclosure but if you take it out, make sure to dust your tortoise's food with calcium powder a few times a week.
It's possible it was pee, I'm not sure, it was in the water he was soaking in. Should I sprinkle his food w calcium when he's eating the cuttlebone or should I lay off on the calcium powder

San Diego
I'd recommend dusting food with calcium a few times a week anyways. Depends on how old your tort is. Personally, I use the cuttlebone more as a supplementary option for my tortoises to self-regulate but I can never be sure if they use it so I like to make certain they get enough calcium by dusting.

RoxyA

Fort Scott
I'd recommend dusting food with calcium a few times a week anyways. Depends on how old your tort is. Personally, I use the cuttlebone more as a supplementary option for my tortoises to self-regulate but I can never be sure if they use it so I like to make certain they get enough calcium by dusting.
Ok thank you, mine seems to love his cuttlebone, he pushes it around, munches on it, climbs and lays on it, kind of a funny little thing. Thanks for your help

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mostly mixed baby greens, I get alot of different greens but stay away from too much kale, spinach, etc because I've read too much is not good for them
This is not good. Your diet needs much improvement, or you are going to run into some problems.

Give this a read for care and diet info. Most of the care info you find for this species is wrong.

RoxyA

Fort Scott
This is not good. Your diet needs much improvement, or you are going to run into some problems.

Give this a read for care and diet info. Most of the care info you find for this species is wrong.
Oh I get a big variety from the store, take him out to graze, I pick grass, dandelions, Clover, Clover flowers etc, he gets a large variety. I also give him lugarti premium grassland tortoise food. I was just giving a quick answer w not much detail. He has a great appetite and is very healthy I was just worried when I saw the white stuff, someone suggested it was pee, it might be, it was more like "cottage cheese" in appearance

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would not sprinkle food with calcium if the torts are using the cuttle bone. Too much calcium is as bad as too little.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's possible it was pee, I'm not sure, it was in the water he was soaking in. Should I sprinkle his food w calcium when he's eating the cuttlebone or should I lay off on the calcium powder
No do not sprinkle calcium on his food as long as he is using the cuttlebone. Too much calcium is as bad as too little.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh I get a big variety from the store, take him out to graze, I pick grass, dandelions, Clover, Clover flowers etc, he gets a large variety. I also give him lugarti premium grassland tortoise food. I was just giving a quick answer w not much detail. He has a great appetite and is very healthy I was just worried when I saw the white stuff, someone suggested it was pee, it might be, it was more like "cottage cheese" in appearance
Post a pic of the white stuff. It could be either urates, or the cuttlebone.

RoxyA

Fort Scott
If he does it again ill post a pic, I've already dumped it. I was thinking it had something to do w the cuttlebone since he had just started eating it, that's why i was asking about it. We will see if he does that again today

autumn_0201

Kuantan
I put a cuttlebone in with my baby sulcata, hes been eating it, quite a bit actually. Is there a point where its too much because today he pooped some grainy white stuff in the water during his soak. He eats alot of food, has an incredible appetite, seems really healthy and hes active, poop is usually normal. This is the first time it has happened so I'm assuming it's from the cuttlebone. Should I take it out of his enclosure or leave it in there?
It could have not been poop, but pee instead. When they are dehydrated, they will pee in a pasty white form in order to save water in it's body. If u dont soak him regularly or provide a water dish, chances are that he is dehydrated.

RoxyA

Fort Scott
It could have not been poop, but pee instead. When they are dehydrated, they will pee in a pasty white form in order to save water in it's body. If u dont soak him regularly or provide a water dish, chances are that he is dehydrated.
I soak him for 20 min twice a day and he has a water dish at all times, I also sprinkle drops of water on his food at least once a day

RoxyA

Fort Scott
I was able to get a pic of the white stuff today, he hasn't done this again since I first posted until now. Any advice would be helpful, thanks. BTW he's pooping normally and eating great

Attachments

• 20210703_150003.jpg
    20210703_150003.jpg
    719.5 KB · Views: 33

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was able to get a pic of the white stuff today, he hasn't done this again since I first posted until now. Any advice would be helpful, thanks. BTW he's pooping normally and eating great
That is urates. It is a by-product of protein digestion, and its a sign that the tortoise could be better hydrated. This has nothing to do with calcium or cuttle bone.

Are you using a closed chamber? Damp orchid bark? Humid hide?

Check this out:

RoxyA

Fort Scott
Yes, c
That is urates. It is a by-product of protein digestion, and its a sign that the tortoise could be better hydrated. This has nothing to do with calcium or cuttle bone.

Are you using a closed chamber? Damp orchid bark? Humid hide?

Check this out:
Yes, closed chamber, humid hide, coconut coir substrate, haven't been able to find orchid bark yet, it's on back order, keep humidity at 85%+, soak 2× a day for 20 min, im not sure what else to do