White Poop?

Julian32122

Location (City and/or State)
Vallejo
Hello! I just purchased my captive-bred 4 month old Russian Tortoise yesterday from what seemed to be a reputable local business. This morning, while giving it its 15-minute soak, he pooped out what seemed to be a rather dry-looking poop.

Does this seem normal? I’m assuming it’s a sign of dehydration and I’d like to help out my tortoise asap. Thanks for the help!

6B936757-B702-4B63-AFFB-252C63877104.jpeg

shawnateerow

Maurice
Hello! I just purchased my captive-bred 4 month old Russian Tortoise yesterday from what seemed to be a reputable local business. This morning, while giving it its 15-minute soak, he pooped out what seemed to be a rather dry-looking poop.

Does this seem normal? I’m assuming it’s a sign of dehydration and I’d like to help out my tortoise asap. Thanks for the help!

The white is urates from pee. Not poop. But yes that looks very dry. Probably dehydrated. I would soak twice a day

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Please
1. Soak your tortoise in 95 degree water for at least 20 minutes every day as your tort is dehydrated
2. Please add pictures of your tort and enclosure

Julian32122

Vallejo
Please
1. Soak your tortoise in 95 degree water for at least 20 minutes every day as your tort is dehydrated

Got it, thank you! I did my soak this morning in nice warm water and it seemed to enjoy it. I may do it twice a day if necessary until it is doing well.

I’ve attached a picture without the lights (looks a bit more clear) and then another with how I have the Mercury Vapor Bulb and CHE set up. I tried to create a temperature gradient as recommended and have measured all temps with the infrared temp gun. I also added about 4-5 different types of dark leafy greens to its diet this morning and sprinkled a bit of calcium powder on it. So far the tortoise hasn’t been eating but it’s been hanging out under the light.

B6C1850C-E720-4D0D-AC60-15E741658C65.jpeg247B31D7-7C47-4279-B5C6-56B46485C6F8.jpeg

Last edited:

Julian32122

Vallejo
The white is urates from pee. Not poop. But yes that looks very dry. Probably dehydrated. I would soak twice a day
That makes sense - I was reading about the urea thing so that gives me some peace of mind. However, I agree. This poor tortoise was not getting enough hydration. I will soak it later today again in some nice warm water for another 15-20 minutes. Thank you for your help!

Julian32122

Vallejo
Got it, thank you! I did my soak this morning in nice warm water and it seemed to enjoy it. I may do it twice a day if necessary until it is doing well.

I’ve attached a picture without the lights (looks a bit more clear) and then another with how I have the Mercury Vapor Bulb and CHE set up. I tried to create a temperature gradient as recommended and have measured all temps with the infrared temp gun. I also added about 4-5 different types of dark leafy greens to its diet this morning and sprinkled a bit of calcium powder on it. So far the tortoise hasn’t been eating but it’s been hanging out under the light.

View attachment 310404View attachment 310405
Please
Good news - it pooped again in its enclosure but the poop looks completely normal and healthy now :)

A58446B7-8EB7-46F3-BCE8-F79E602B1CE6.jpeg2EAE0107-3B77-4620-B81B-AEAA3840EBF8.jpeg

Attachments

• DF84EA7C-C3DA-456C-AAAD-1211DFE3B211.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
BTW your 4 month old tortoise may be way older than that. Often the pet stores sell wild caught and not captive breed. Later and I mean many years later that will not matter as your tort will live a long life if you consistently provide the consistent means to do so. Just be careful of how close to the side walls the logs are as Russians are notorious climbers.

Julian32122

Vallejo
BTW your 4 month old tortoise may be way older than that. Often the pet stores sell wild caught and not captive breed. Later and I mean many years later that will not matter as your tort will live a long life if you consistently provide the consistent means to do so. Just be careful of how close to the side walls the logs are as Russians are notorious climbers.

Yikes - I'm fairly confident it's captive bred as this is a small local store that gets all of their tortoises from breeders (according to them). They also breed many reptiles themselves. I made sure to avoid any big-chain stores. I also paid quite a bit for it so I'd be upset if I got ripped off lol. I don't doubt the age thing though. It was more of a rough estimate they gave me.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Yikes - I'm fairly confident it's captive bred as this is a small local store that gets all of their tortoises from breeders (according to them). They also breed many reptiles themselves. I made sure to avoid any big-chain stores. I also paid quite a bit for it so I'd be upset if I got ripped off lol. I don't doubt the age thing though. It was more of a rough estimate they gave me.
Cool if so that is awesome for you and very unusual

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, according to the pictures, this IS a very young tortoise

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is the most current and correct care info:

Dlamonda

Grants Pass

View attachment 310403
Its his pee. Totally normal, scared me first time