White pattern showing up on plastron??

marginatedtort

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have a marginated hatchling (owned him for about two months now) and I noticed these small white patterns on his plastron today. Is this normal? He may just slowly be shedding as he grows but as a new owner I’m anxious about things like shell rot- should I be concerned?? What do you think it is??

Thanks for any advice4D4FDB8A-42A4-45F6-ABB5-886723303EE2.jpeg

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Probably just new visible growth appearing. I have seen that exact thing on my baby redfoots. Yep just new shell growth.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Hi all,

We have a marginated hatchling (owned him for about two months now) and I noticed these small white patterns on his plastron today. Is this normal? He may just slowly be shedding as he grows but as a new owner I’m anxious about things like shell rot- should I be concerned?? What do you think it is??

Thanks for any adviceView attachment 329322
The marks you’re seeing are 100% normal and expected. I bet if you look close at the carapace you’ll see some there too. One of the most experienced members on the forum here taught me (when I had the same concern) that she believes it to be calcium working its way through new keratin. We can’t say for certain if that’s true, but it seems to make sense since these marks are usually only visible in young, growing torts. The marks can appear as squiggles, circles or anything in between. If you do a search on the forum for “squiggles” or “white squiggles” you’ll see endless examples of this. Now that my tortoise is reaching more full grown size, the white squiggles and circle marks have become less and less.

I’d love to see a full picture of you cute little tortoise. Marginated babies are so cute!!

If you haven’t already seen it, here is a link to the most up to date care sheet for your little one.

Welcome to the forum!

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan