White line on russian shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

amelhorn

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My sister has a russian. She has noticed a white line around the tortoise shell. I remember seeing a picture of this somewhere, but I cannot find it. I think it is shell rot, but I need to find the picture to make sure. Her vet is 2 and 1/2 hours away, and there may be something she can due to help before she can get an appointment. Does anyone remember a picture of this?

Annette

amelhorn

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Shellback said:
Are you sure its not just new growth?

Will

She took old her thom to a very highly recomended vet in Maryland. The vet this tort was like 40 years old, they did change his diet. Would a 40 year old tort have new growth? Sorry I don't want to sound dumb, but I a just starting to learn about them. And trying to help her out. This group is awesome, there is so much info and so many people who know so much.

Thank you,
Annette

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Yes, it could still be new growth at that age. Because of how you worded it, "around the shell", I too am thinking new growth. Can you post us a picture of her tort?

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
What was the new diet that was changed to...?

Tortoises never stop growing their entire life they do slow down with age but only if they have reached adult size.

Sounds like new growth.

amelhorn said:
Shellback said:
Are you sure its not just new growth?

Will

She took old her thom to a very highly recomended vet in Maryland. The vet this tort was like 40 years old, they did change his diet. Would a 40 year old tort have new growth? Sorry I don't want to sound dumb, but I a just starting to learn about them. And trying to help her out. This group is awesome, there is so much info and so many people who know so much.

Thank you,
Annette

amelhorn

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I will try to get a picture of it, so everyone can see it. The vet told her to give him a earth worm or meal worm every now and then. He was lite in weight. She bought him at auction so she had no idea what he was given before. He also gets spring mix and a bright colored pellet food I will ask her what brand it is.

Thanks again,
Annette

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
If you are going to feed a pelleted food I'd suggest either Mazuri or T-Rex Tortoise diet once or twice a week.

With that you don't need to feed the live food unless he really seems to like it.

Check out this book if you haven't already...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0793828821/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

amelhorn said:
I will try to get a picture of it, so everyone can see it. The vet told her to give him a earth worm or meal worm every now and then. He was lite in weight. She bought him at auction so she had no idea what he was given before. He also gets spring mix and a bright colored pellet food I will ask her what brand it is.

Thanks again,
Annette

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I would add other foods to the spring mix, like dandelion, hibiscus, I also feed squash and tomato, not a lot though. Maybe even some other foods from russiantortoise.org. I don't feed mine live foods, but you never know what they pick up in the backyard.

Daniel I would start a new post to get your question answered.

danieledwards2006

10 Year Member!
England
jenrell23 said:
I would add other foods to the spring mix, like dandelion, hibiscus, I also feed squash and tomato, not a lot though. Maybe even some other foods from russiantortoise.org. I don't feed mine live foods, but you never know what they pick up in the backyard.

Daniel I would start a new post to get your question answered.

Sorry replied to this post by accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.