White layer on eyes

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
Ah okay so I'll put him in water from now onwards. How much water is convenient for the turtle?
Fill t
oh wow yes, definitely see it now!

put him in water!! do you have a tank for them? or a plastic bin? (50 gallon would be good)
dont forget they need to bask under a heat/uv light or else they will get shell rot or skin fungus and not be able to shed properly. they need to be able to fully get out of the water and dry off

I mean if this turtle is wild caught you might want to put it back in the wild since they are a vulnerable species
Please don't tell a newcomer to put a turtle back in the wild. They 'might' not be wild caught simply ratty lookin and putting turtles or tortoises in the wild could be a death sentence.
OP...I used to keep water turtles, and right now I have a small water turtle in a 100 gallon tank. You need to immediately change how you are keeping him. If you don't want to go to all the trouble and expense of setting him up correctly take him to a turtle rescue please.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Fill t

Please don't tell a newcomer to put a turtle back in the wild. They 'might' not be wild caught simply ratty lookin and putting turtles or tortoises in the wild could be a death sentence.
OP...I used to keep water turtles, and right now I have a small water turtle in a 100 gallon tank. You need to immediately change how you are keeping him. If you don't want to go to all the trouble and expense of setting him up correctly take him to a turtle rescue please.

I hear ya and agree. I was trying to say that IF the turtle was wild caught to put it back. I could see this being misleading though.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Fredericksburg
You can also buy turtle eye drops. I treat all of my turtles (water & land), just before and after hibernation. Whenever I have one with eyes this poofy, it’s a sign of an ear infection. I use a Q-tip and apply a little bit of Neosporin to the eyes and ears. It’s usually a lot better after one week!

1wildtiger

Alexandria VA
I have a water turtle (Red Earred Slider) in addition to two Eastern Hermann’s. The RES is in a 125 gallon tank of water with an acrylic tank placed on top so she can get completely dry and bask when she wants. There’s a square hole cut in the bottom of the acrylic tank with a ramp attached so she can climb up it to get inside. Just an idea if you decide to keep it. They have to be able to dry off. Good luck!! ?3B18FF53-5042-44FE-BA49-179C0DF31EB2.jpeg0B419E9F-F3E9-444D-A4EE-800BA4286FF7.jpegC5059CCF-50DB-4486-BC7E-4E1B01D7CD60.jpeg

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
I wish some of the experts were on here but I believe this looks like cuora one of the Chinese box turtle family? Not sure how aquatic they are. A good reptile vet should have a look at the problem.

ColumbiaJane

5 Year Member
I used to have reeves turtle. She lived in a 60 gallon tank and she produced eggs every year (in the water). My neighbor’s son loved her and he dug a small pond in their yard, put a liner in it, filter... so she had a lovely new habitat. And then she disappeared. And then she came back! I think she finally got to lay her eggs in some soil.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wish some of the experts were on here but I believe this looks like cuora one of the Chinese box turtle family? Not sure how aquatic they are. A good reptile vet should have a look at the problem.
It's a Reeves.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
It's a Reeves.
I have an idea how stubborn you and your sister can be but I'm even more so. I've seen several cuora for sale lately and am nearly positive this is one of them. Perhaps a look at the bottom side for a hinge would settle that. I don't think Reeves' have such sharp ribs on their back. Boxies can go in H2O but live on land and it would be a big mistake to put one in an aquatic environment.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
I have an idea how stubborn you and your sister can be but I'm even more so. I've seen several cuora for sale lately and am nearly positive this is one of them. Perhaps a look at the bottom side for a hinge would settle that. I don't think Reeves' have such sharp ribs on their back. Boxies can go in H2O but live on land and it would be a big mistake to put one in an aquatic environment.

I believe you may be confusing it with Cuora mouhitii (3 Keeled Box turtle / Jagged Shell turtle). This is 1,000% a Mauremys (Chinemys) reevesii.