White layer on eyes

_jasmine21

Location (City and/or State)
Puerto de la cruz
Hii!! I am new here and I wanted to know is someone can help me to know why my tortoise has a white layer in his eyes. And what can I do to remove it?
Thanks!!

16100413965492084383532832882099.jpg16100415089121416236057513326159.jpg

Herman_WA

Washington
I can't really see what you are talking about, but isn't this a turtle, not a tortoise? I could be wrong
(which I most likely am) but it looks a lot like a turtle.
What kind of enclosure do you keep it in?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
yeah looks like a water turtle to me. whatever is around the eye (I cant see it either) is probably some sort of layer to keep it moist and from drying out

Herman_WA

Washington
I have zero experience with turtles, but isn't he quite dry for a water turtle?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your "tortoise" is a turtle and turtles live in water. His eyes are stuck shut because he needs to be in water. I'm not a water turtle expert, but I think that may be a Reeves turtle.

_jasmine21

Puerto de la cruz
I can't really see what you are talking about, but isn't this a turtle, not a tortoise? I could be wrong
(which I most likely am) but it looks a lot like a turtle.
What kind of enclosure do you keep it in?
Yeah at starting i also thought that it's a turtle but whenever i try to put him in water he tries to get out of there. Maybe because he's a tortoise. I have a medium size tortoise tank.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He tries to get out because he wants to find his way back to where he came from.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I hope you can see better now!!

oh wow yes, definitely see it now!

put him in water!! do you have a tank for them? or a plastic bin? (50 gallon would be good)
dont forget they need to bask under a heat/uv light or else they will get shell rot or skin fungus and not be able to shed properly. they need to be able to fully get out of the water and dry off

I mean if this turtle is wild caught you might want to put it back in the wild since they are a vulnerable species

_jasmine21

Puerto de la cruz
oh wow yes, definitely see it now!

put him in water!! do you have a tank for them? or a plastic bin? (50 gallon would be good)
dont forget they need to bask under a heat/uv light or else they will get shell rot or skin fungus and not be able to shed properly. they need to be able to fully get out of the water and dry off

I mean if this turtle is wild caught you might want to put it back in the wild since they are a vulnerable species
Yeah I have a tank but it's not that deep!! Thank you so much for the advices! It really helped a lot!!

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
It is a Reeves turtle (Mauremys reevesii). It needs to be in a water environment with a basking area. If you can provide an enclosure that is 80% water and 20% land, that would be great. If not, that's ok too. But you must provide a basking area for it to pull itself out of the water. Based on your hand versus this animals size, a 6" water depth will be sufficient.

SKOLsuper

5 Year Member
Essex
Omg who told you it’s a tortoise ? and why did you get it from???How funny