White fibrous material in Redfoots poop (not urates)

CaptainMorgan

Hello Everyone,

Just some background info for the tortoise we're talking about today.
Name: Capri
Species: Redfoot
Enclosure: 4' x 2' x 18"
Substrate: Soil base layer with surface cypress mulch
Plants: Two spider plants, two snake plants (mother in law tongue)
Water bowl: Yes
Hides: Half log on dry side (sleeps daily in here) humid hide (not used frequently)
Tempature: Basking is low 90's, humid side is mid 80's, opposite cool end is high 70's
Humidity: 65-70% with Crane elephant humidifer (distilled) for 12 hours a day.
Food: Different each week, red leaf lettuce, green leaf lettuce, dandelion greens, collard greens, mustard greens, chicory, escarole, treats: carrot, papaya, mango protein: some chicken occasionally (pyramiding was evident, cut back on proteins)
Previous medical conditions: Annual visits to the veterinarian, no issues. One visit for a 'quacking' noise at night time, vet thought it might be a possible respiratory infection, turns out she's just vocal!
Other animals in house: Rescue Russian tortoise (parasite free), Rescue Red Ear Slider

So here's what brings me to the forums. Since Capri is fairly small, so are her bowel movements. Which can make them awfully hard to find sometimes.
In the last couple of months I've noticed some of her BM's are covered in a white dry fibrous material. I can't say I've found one that was fresh, most are a couple of days old and dried up. Upon closer inspection it appears this material is not limited to the surface, but can also be in the actual BM. (which makes me think this isn't a exterior rapid growing mold).

Is anyone familiar with this white material in redfoots? We've taken her to the vet on annual visits and she's in good health. Some slight pyramiding, but we're working on it.

See attachment for photos!

Thanks!

0702150755a.jpg

Attachments

• 0329150941a.jpg
    0329150941a.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 17

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Have you tried soaking the poop to see what's not soluble? If the white fibres separate you may be able to identify them

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Have you tried soaking the poop to see what's not soluble? If the white fibres separate you may be able to identify them
Great idea! ......the other thing you can try is hit it with a lighter and see how it burns as well as the smell of it. (plastics smell's are very different than organic material .)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
What goes in, must come out. She's eating something that she's not supposed to eat. It almost looks like those woven fibers they make plastic tarps out of.

CaptainMorgan

I tried soaking the poop in a warm water and over the course of 12-24 hours the white material dissolved completely (so we know it's water soluble!). It wasn't quick like a powdered drink, it took much longer. I found some other bowel movements inside her home, but they appeared healthy and free of the white material.

I have a feeling the fibrous material of the snake plant closely resembles the material in her poop. Since she recently rebelled and ate a small leaf of it, I'll be on the lookout for this mysterious stuff!

@spudthetortoise There's no tissues or paper in her enclosure.
@Yvonne G There's no tarp in her home, only a clear shower liner under the soil to prevent wood rot.