Which would be a good tort?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PyrateJim

5 Year Member
Geetings,
This is my first post here. I have decided I would like to raise a tort and am now learning all that I can BEFORE I make the move. I currently live in southern Michigan and have room for both a secured outdoor enclosure for the summer months and a large indoor enclosure for our winter months. In approx. 5 years, the wife and I will be moving to the Florida Keys as we already own the property and I have a perfect area for a secure, outdoor enclosure there as well.
I am looking for a baby tort, but that will be in the adult range of 12"-24" and up to a weight of 75-100 lbs. One that I was looking at, would be the Greek tort. Is there any other breeds that you experenced tort owners could suggest I look into?

Thank you for all the help and direction.

sueb4653

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pueblo West
"I am looking for a baby tort, but that will be in the adult range of 12"-24" and up to a weight of 75-100 lbs"

A greek will not be that big

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

PyrateJim said:
and a large indoor enclosure for our winter months.

How big is "big"?

Any tortoise would love a large outdoor enclosure in Florida. However, the larger species would be challenging to care for during cold winters in Michigan (but not impossible). Some species grow very quickly and will outgrow most indoor enclosures within 5 years.

I've never owned a Greek, but I hear they make great pets. Their small size would be convenient for keeping them indoors during the winter.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
this is an easy one ....... REDFOOTS/CHERRYHEADS ~ :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Jim. What you've described is a sulcata tortoise. The Greek species don't get anywhere near that big. Greeks are a medium sized tortoise, never getting any bigger than about 8 to 10" in a straight line from front to back, and probably never heavier than about 15lbs.

The confusion might lie in what different folks call the tortoises. A Greek tortoise is called a Mediterranean spur thigh, while a sulcata is sometimes referred to as an African spurred tortoise.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) As N2TORTS, mentioned, redfoots/cherryheads would do fine in Michigan and even better when you move to the Keys. He also has some available and I would not hesitate at all to buy from him. You will be getting a healthy one from him for sure. Look his threads up on here, you will see some fantastic pictures. Another choice for the size you want would be the leopard. They grow pretty slow, so wouldn't be too big in five years to move and they don't dig burrows like the larger sulcata. Those are my suggestions. Good luck

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
N2TORTS said:
this is an easy one ....... REDFOOTS/CHERRYHEADS ~ :D

This!

Redfoots get 12"-18" and are cute little guys! They would love the weather in Florida, but where you are now a nice warm humid enclosure inside would suit them well. You do need something fairly big though if it will be for the next 5years. I started my hatchling out in a 20gal tank and he outgrew it after a few months. At one year they should be around 4" and I believe they grow another inch every year after until full grown.

Whatever you choose good luck with your new little one! :)

PyrateJim

5 Year Member
Thank you all for the help. I am now thinking more towards the Redfoot and leopard as I am concerned about the burrowing. As for size of the indoor enclosure, right now I have an enclosure that is 3'x3'x30" high. Starting as a baby, and somewhat slow growing would fit us just right.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Personally, I would wait until after you move if your heart is set on a sulcata sized tortoise. I'm sure the move will be hectic enough without having to worry about lugging around an extra animal. When I moved it was only 15 miles away and it was still a pain with no animals at the time.

PyrateJim

5 Year Member
I'm thinking that a sulcata might be a bit of an undertaking for me at this point. Although I do love the larger size, there is always the chance that my future may change within the next 5 years and then I will have to figure out how to winter him/her up here in Michigan. That, and their love for borrowing has me a bit concerned for both locations.

I am looking more into the redfoot or leopard, as I will be able to accomodate either one of them should things change and their lack of a borrowing need puts me a bit more at ease.

PyrateJim

5 Year Member
Well, I went to my local Reptile store today to see what he had in stock. He had two baby leopards. One didnt have its eyes open yet. He said that he was gone over the weekend and doesnt think his staff fed them. He was now leary if they would make it or not and because of that, he wasnt going to sell them. He did end up giving me both leopards and I know am working with them to get them to eat and on the road to recovery. The have a small, shallow water dish with 1/2 water and 1/2 pedialyte (sp?), fresh winter greens from the garden with calcium/D3 powder and their heat lamp and uv light.

Any suggestions on going from learning about getting a first tort, to being given two baby leopards that need some special attention? The owner mentioned syringe feeding with baby food if possible, but said itwould be highly unlikely. Is this possible? If so, any particular flavor or brand?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.