Which tortoise do I have?

Law

Location (City and/or State)
London
Thanks Michael. I’ve read the care sheet, lots to take in, quite a long complicated read, long winded, for a new keeper! I have a disabled child, so reading lots of links and info, my time is quite limited (as I’m sure most people find :)

I am in the UK (not too hot!) and absolutely no knowledge of tortoises! A rather naive and confused first time keeper!

The tortoise table was one of the first I read. I again found it a bit confusing, for example I ordered some seeds, African violets (safe apparently) which seem strange for a Greek! If based on original environment!?

Anyhow, at the moment he has dandelions! I’ve ordered more dandelion seeds, a ‘tortoise mix’ of seeds too (for a Greek) some dried food which someone recommended on here. Romaine lettuce I can buy.

Thanks for your patience! Everyone seems very knowledgeable.

Law

London
Thanks Michael. I’ve read the care sheet, lots to take in, quite a long complicated read, for a new keeper!

I am in the UK (not too hot!) and absolutely no knowledge of tortoises! A rather naive and confused first time keeper!

The tortoise table was one of the first I read. I again found it a bit confusing, for example I ordered some seeds, African violets, which seem strange for a Greek!

Law

London
I’ve been thrown in at the deep end! Handed a tortoise, not planned! Told to feed him iceberg tomato! (Which I suspected was not right and know now is not appropriate)

You guys are obviously very knowledgeable, experienced keepers. I have already googled info, which is as I already said,I find conflicting and confusing!

I appreciate the links to info, which is a lot to take in. I was hoping for more of a survival list for dummies! A beginners guide, if you like!!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Thanks Michael. I’ve read the care sheet, lots to take in, quite a long complicated read, long winded, for a new keeper! I have a disabled child, so reading lots of links and info, my time is quite limited (as I’m sure most people find :)

The tortoise table was one of the first I read. I again found it a bit confusing, for example I ordered some seeds, African violets (safe apparently) which seem strange for a Greek! If based on original environment!?

Anyhow, at the moment he has dandelions! I’ve ordered more dandelion seeds, a ‘tortoise mix’ of seeds too (for a Greek) some dried food which someone recommended on here. Romaine lettuce I can buy.

Thanks for your patience! Everyone seems very knowledgeable.
This is Cathie and just wanted to say hello. I have a disabled brother I help also. Your instincts and info have already helped your new friend with a new diet. I'm absolutely sure you'll do a nice home for your tortoise.

Law

London
Looks like someone drilled a hole in its shell to "leash" him. Do not give him back. Enjoy your new "shell baby"

Yes at some point he has had a hole drilled :(

I think he has been neglected probably most of his life, to varying degrees, due to lack of knowledge. He (if he is actually a he!) is staying! He won’t be going back.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Ye
Yes at some point he has had a hole drilled :(

I think he has been neglected probably most of his life, to varying degrees, due to lack of knowledge. He (if he is actually a he!) is staying! He won’t be going back.
Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
:) the person who asked me to look after him for a few months, isn’t aware that he isn’t going back yet! I’m doubtful, she will ask for him back. If she does, she will then be told no.

Tortoise custody battle :)
Your friend won't ask. Don't be too worried about all the info all at once...and all of it being seemingly conflicting...it's all just different experiences and I'm sure you and your little one are doing fine and better.

Law

London
Poo question please.

His first soak, when I first got him (after not being soaked for months) he pooed and did a ‘wee’ (excuse my terminology) it was very solid, log like and very pale.

Since he has been on his dandelion diet it has changed. Not log like anymore. Very green and more loose. Is this due to the change in diet?

My friend google, says it should be more log like?

Thank you Cathy, I’m by no means an expert! I’m trying! My friend made it sound so easy! He seems happier, eating loads, more active since being here!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Poo question please.

His first soak, when I first got him (after not being soaked for months) he pooed and did a ‘wee’ (excuse my terminology) it was very solid, log like and very pale.

Since he has been on his dandelion diet it has changed. Not log like anymore. Very green and more loose. Is this due to the change in diet?

Thank you Cathy, I’m by no means an expert! I’m trying! My friend made it sound so easy! He seems happier, eating loads, more active since being here!
I'm not an expert either...but the fact that he/she is pooping and peeing is really good. I don't think the log thing is correct though. I could be wrong but everytime I've seen a tortoises "business" it's a real mess. Not an easy log to pick up. I just have a little Russian named Saphire. But the bigger tortoise that I dealt with made such a mess that I used newspaper first then paper towels then a bucket and mop. I think you're doing a really good job. It really does seem like a lot at first but you already did it right before you knew from reading. I do have one piece of advice though. Stay on the Tortoise Forum until you're more comfortable about your knowledge. I went through all of the crazy misinformation too...but used my mother's instincts like you...I've had my tortoise for 12 years but I wish I had found the Tortoise Forum 12 years ago instead of last August.

Michael231

California
Poo question please.

It’s the fiber in the diet of many desert inhabiting tortoise species that make the feces log like. In the wild, the Greek tortoise inhabits a variety of habitats. Don’t worry about this. In general, they eat plants high in fiber and some succulents with high water content.

The loose stool is normal. The pool is likely just a bit watered down from something you’re feeding him/her. Not a bad thing at all, in fact probably good!

Zaffy

5 Year Member
Thank you Cathy, he has had a soak. I already have some organic raw virgin coconut oil in the cupboard, I will give him a buff after his next soak!
I would say no oils or grease, purely because it would not happen in the wild. Get him outside. Think of him like a mini horse. He needs the sun and rain on his back. Artificial lighting is only secondary to the real thing. Get to know wild plants. Violets, hawkweed, hawk-bit, plantain (the weed not the veg), clover, trifolium, rose petals. The list is endless and if you give him a wide range of wildflowers then nothing wrong with him chopping down on a lettuce. Warm shallow bath to drink and wash his face in. Make sure it has shallow sides then he can climb out if he wants to. My tortoise never gets in the water on his own. I have to put him in and depending how he feels, he either stays in there or climbs straight out. As much outside space as possible. My tortoise is in his mid sixties.

JubJub

London
Hi,

Your boy is gorgeous OP.

Try bags of wild rocket from the supermarket, similar to dandelion. Otherwise the suggestions upthread are brilliant. Some new ones for me to try there too.

Law

London
Thank you everyone again for your advice.

Zaffy, he is outside. His enclosure is only 6ft by 3ft. It’s on soil, some grass and mainly dandelions, so he can graze whenever he wants. He has the sunniest spot in the garden.

Most afternoons, he has the run of the garden. He tends to stick to the bottom half, where the big patch of dandelions are!

He loves romaine lettuce too, turns his nose up at dry tortoise food.

He literally runs over when I feed my chickens corn on the cob. However, I read too high in sugar for him, so I have to take it off him!

I have lots of roses, I will see if he likes petals and thanks I will also try rocket too.

Zaffy

5 Year Member
Poo question please.

I would describe tortoise poo as similar to horse manure but of course the difference in quantity dispelled is vast.

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
Hello, just joined. I hope I have attached a picture! Can anyone identify what type of tortoise I have please?

I have been given a tortoise to look after, from a friend who recently inherited him.

I was told to just feed him lettuce and tomato.

I have never cared for a tortoise. However googling tells me he should be eating different food, to what friend told me! Particularly depending on what type he is.

I don’t want to feed him the wrong foods.

View attachment 275869
this is a greek tortoise.Chris Leone will be able to id the one. Hermanns and Russians look different. I have both of this species. They are testudae and eat mixed greens etc.