Which tortoise do I have?

Law

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hello, just joined. I hope I have attached a picture! Can anyone identify what type of tortoise I have please?

I have been given a tortoise to look after, from a friend who recently inherited him.

I was told to just feed him lettuce and tomato.

I have never cared for a tortoise. However googling tells me he should be eating different food, to what friend told me! Particularly depending on what type he is.

I don’t want to feed him the wrong foods.

F225A081-FDD0-4873-A19F-6E96585CA33C.jpeg

Law

London
Thank you. I’ve never cared for a tortoise before and googling do and don’t foods, is so conflicting, from one type of tortoise to another.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH

Law

London
He doesn’t eat grass at all? There is plenty in the garden, he ignores it or is there a particular type of grass?

Person who gave him to me, told me to feed him iceberg lettuce and tomato. This didn’t sound right, so I googled. That’s where it got confusing, not knowing what type he is!

I figured out from google dandelions seemed to be safe for most tortoises? Luckily I have loads at the back of the garden. He loves these. I have also been giving him a bit of kale?

Law

London
Outdoor. I was told he is 50 years old and has always lived outdoors.

It was all very rushed, he was literally given to me, same day. Had no time to research anything!

Law

London
This is his house (adapted rabbit run and house) I had to quickly buy something.

He has straw bedding, a shallow tray for water. I let him out into garden daily, while I’m out there and he digs in the shingle part of the garden. Eats dandelions.

Is this ok?
What else do I need?

Attachments

• E1F13B31-CF46-4E97-9C94-A454FEDD3E58.jpeg
    E1F13B31-CF46-4E97-9C94-A454FEDD3E58.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 54

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
He doesn’t eat grass at all? There is plenty in the garden, he ignores it or is there a particular type of grass?

Person who gave him to me, told me to feed him iceberg lettuce and tomato. This didn’t sound right, so I googled. That’s where it got confusing, not knowing what type he is!

I figured out from google dandelions seemed to be safe for most tortoises? Luckily I have loads at the back of the garden. He loves these. I have also been giving him a bit of kale?
Hello. Welcome to the Tortoise Forum. Are you going to keep him? Or do you have to give him back? It doesn't take long to fall in love with tortoises.