Which temperatures/bulbs for Pancake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akuma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Stockholm Sweden
I've yet to find a solid number on which temperature gradient I should have in my tortoise box.
My tortoise is the rare Pancake Tortoise and I really have no idea which temperature I should set up for him.

My questions revolve two things - What temperature and how much should it spread out through the entire enclosure?

Should I buy one strong 150 Watt heatbulb and distribute the heat even through the entire enclosure or should I buy only a small 50 Watt heatbulb for only a small area?

Or should I buy whichever lamp I can get my hands on and take temperature measurements?

The choice of heat lamps for now stands between Exo-Terra Sun Glo bulbs or Exo-Terra HeatGlo lamps.
I really don't know what is the difference between all them.

It's either this one:
2202740_S.jpg

or this one:
2202520_S.jpg

My understanding is that the Solar Glo emits more light than heat and the Heat Glo is vice-versa?

My current setup I have in the tortoise box are 2x UV-B fluorescent lamps Reptile Glo 5.0 and a regular non-UV-B flourscent lamp.
All three are 24".

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
The infrared one is really designed for night heating as it gives off virtually no light. What you are aiming for is a basking area of 95-100F. The overall temp of the enclosure should be near 80 during the day. So what ever bulb you want to use to achieve those temps is up to you. We have used the green packaged bulb and been very happy. The wattage you will need is determined by how close to the enclosure you place the light. If the temp is not adequate, move it closer if possible. If too hot, move it farther away. We have had great luck with our Pancakes. The females are beginning to nest again. :D

Akuma

5 Year Member
Stockholm Sweden
Tim/Robin said:
The infrared one is really designed for night heating as it gives off virtually no light.

Aren't Night Glo lamps for that?

2202415_S.jpg

I'm confused :(

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Both give off virtually no light and just heat. If you want light, don't use the red or blue bulb. If you are just after heat, then either will do that.

Akuma

5 Year Member
Stockholm Sweden
... but I already have 3 flourescent lights in the enclosure. Isn't that enough with light already?

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
I would think that whould be enough light. I wasn't implying you need light. I simply stated the green box bulb is for light as well as heat. The other two don't put off much light. Remember Pancakes are native to hot dry deserts of Africa. They are used to bright. They hide in the rock outcropings.

We use a lighted basking spot. We have additional light as well, but the basking area is a regular incandescent light bulb. In fact, we don't use UVB for them since they spend the majority of their time under the rocks. We supplement with calcium with D-3 added. Ours do go outside in the summer, but again, they hide the majority of the time. We have used the green box one you were asking about as well. It is your preference. There is no right or wrong answer. It is simply about getting a warm basking area, finding what works for you and your specific set-up.

Akuma

5 Year Member
Stockholm Sweden
I am curious to your conclusion that pancakes hide more often than being outside - because this is definetly the case for Peter.
This is why I wonder what kind of calcium supplement I should get for him.
Which supplement do you recommend? Right now I'm using Biorep but it's running out and I would like to get something else for him.

Any idea which?

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
It really isn't my conclusion. If you read about Pancakes and their natural behavior and their natural habitat, it is well documented that they are hiders. It is also my observation. Ours hide a lot. That is where they are comfortable. We use Rep-cal with D-3. They get that several times a week. When the females are producing eggs, they get it more often. They also get vitamin supplement weekly.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
red and light bulb wont give off much light, and reptiles dont see that color of light, if you want just heat because you already have a lot of light, ceramic heaters are pretty awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.