Which species of pet tortoise eats the most fruit or the least amount of vegetables a

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gema Braund

5 Year Member
I'm on the brink of giving up on tortoise keeping because they eat too much screwed plants. I rather have a tortoise which has a fruit only diet than one that eats vegetables. It's too hard to provide tortoises with the proper diet, and I can't even provide the most basic vegetables for them to eat.

I know that red foots and yellow foots eat lots of fruit (20% of the diet is fruit) but is there a tortoise which includes fruit as a larger part of the diet?

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
spain
It's not that hard to feed veg to tortoises, you can get seeds of the Internet for specific torts,

I ordered a lot of them from the Internet, which I have just planted, hibiscus plants and roses are readily available in garden centers, as so a lot of the garden plants that they can eat, just make sure they have not been sprayed with pesticides.:D

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Welcome to the TFO, Gema!

There are tortoises whose diets are comprised mostly of fruits but unfortunately these fruits are not those you would readily encounter in a market. If trying to maintain an herbivorous tort is problematic, maintaining a frugivorous species would prove even more difficult.

Knowing a little more about your situation (e.g. location, available facilities (yard, garden, etc.), which tort(s) you have, etc.) would be helpful in determining what suggestions could be proffered. There are people successfully keeping torts with every constraint imaginable. I am sure someone here could spark an idea that would overcome almost any issues you may be encountering.

Pictures are always welcomed, too!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Gema Braund:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

May I suggest that you set your tortoise up outside in an outdoor habitat? That way he can eat what grows in the garden instead of you having to try to find foods to feed him. What kind of tortoise do you have?

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
+1 for "frugivorous "
HLogic said:
Welcome to the TFO, Gema!

There are tortoises whose diets are comprised mostly of fruits but unfortunately these fruits are not those you would readily encounter in a market. If trying to maintain an herbivorous tort is problematic, maintaining a frugivorous species would prove even more difficult.

Knowing a little more about your situation (e.g. location, available facilities (yard, garden, etc.), which tort(s) you have, etc.) would be helpful in determining what suggestions could be proffered. There are people successfully keeping torts with every constraint imaginable. I am sure someone here could spark an idea that would overcome almost any issues you may be encountering.

Pictures are always welcomed, too!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
If you have to keep it indoors a lot, you can also offer a good quality prepared diet, like Mazuri Tortoise Diet, Zoo Med Natural Tortoise Food or Marion Zoological Tortoise Diet ("red sticks"), either as the main item, or in combination with other fresh foods.

There are also a lot of sites that offer you some helpful ideas for feeding your tortoise. My site (http://www.tortoiselibrary.com) offers ideas about diet in general, some plans you can follow, a shopping list, and links to other pages (http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/links.html) to diet info at other sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.