Which snake is good for beginner ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Rosy Boa ....would be a good first choice ... even a ball python.
:)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello my first snake was a king snake they are happy with white mice but my boa's grow fast they ate pinky s then mice then rats and then rabbits

ra94131

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Ball Pythons are great temperment wise, but do have some humidity requirements. (In my experience the "feeding issues" some report are not really a problem.)

If the humidity is an issue Corn Snakes or King Snakes are great, too. Husbandry wise they are pretty simple. (They're about the only species that the "snake kits" may work for.)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Rosy Boa ... is sill prob one of the best ... any of the King and or Rat snakes are good ... but they can be hyper , jumpy and at times a little nippy. If your going that route then save your money and buy an Indigo. You will never go wrong . Although they get very big!
Simply breath taking and the largest Native snake in N. America.
aka " Wayyyyy Bitchen " ...... * talk of the town stuff* :p

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Research what animal fits you the best. Asking a forum what snake you should get is putting the cart before the horse. Google is your friend, along with countless other books and publications.....

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I would say ball python. Easy to keep I've had a male ball python for 16 years and he is going strong.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Actually Google is one of the worst nightmares along with wikipedia these days….too much misinformation and only *book type knowledge* gets out there …..then the laymen Googles it , believes it …and tells 5 of his friends.... All the wrong info. I have never written a book on snakes, but have collected , kept and bred them for 45 plus years….and my name is not Google. Too many managers, authors, so called engineers ….show me the person with the dirty calloused hands …that’s who I want to talk to! They actually do the work , know the streets ( or fields in this case) . Not a Google Article that got put on the net.
Eric I much rather talk to you about torts …..seeking info , than Google some random answer. Why……because I KNOW you know your stuff!
Like Grand -pa said … “ get it from the horses mouth”

poison

5 Year Member
I'm all for the corn snake. Active yet easy to handle and rarely bite (though babies can be a bit nippy).

I personally think Ball pythons are a boring species. But if you want something laidback then I guess their for you :)

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
If you want something easy to throw in a glass tank with a screen top, do not get a ball python. They do not do well in this set-up (much like most tortoises!).

How much space do you have to devote to a snake? This can help you narrow down your search.

In short, there many colubrids to choose from: corn snakes & rat snakes, milksnakes & kingsnakes, garter snakes, bull & gopher snakes, etc. Colubrids are typically more "lean" than boas & pythons, and are more active, both in the cage and out. IMHO, a yearling cornsnake or kingsnake would make a great beginner snake; hardy, forgiving captive and usually docile. They also come in a huge variety of color & pattern mutations. Most average about 4 ft long, and as big around as a golf ball.

There are also a handful of "small" boas & pythons as well: ball pythons, rosy boas, sand boas, Children's pythons, spotted pythons and rainbow boas, to name a few. These are a little more laidback in demeanor, but can still be quick when it comes to dinnertime!

The ball python averages about 4 ft and as big around as a baseball bat. As someone mentioned, they are lazy and can be somewhat boring, because like most pythons & boas, they will hide in a lump inside their cave 90% of the time. However, like cornsnakes, they are available in a variety of mutations. The reason I don't suggest them for glass tanks, is similar as to why we do not suggest keeping tortoises in them; most boas & pythons are tropical species and used to high humidity. Tanks are not very conducive to maintaining humidity, so a custom plastic or wood enclosure seems to work better.

Really I would suggest going to a reptile expo, and/or the nearest pet shop that offers reptiles, and take a look around. See what appeals to you. Most snakes are fairly straightforward in husbandry, so it all boils down to what colors appeal to you and how the snake feels in your hands.

rayneygirl

5 Year Member
SoCal
my first snake is a corn, shes lovely, i was a beginner and she was a great addition

Sent from my SGH-T959V using TortForum mobile app

graciebea

5 Year Member
My boyfriends beginner was an Anery Corn, he got on really well with it then he got a royal python. Both are good for beginners I think:)

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
If I could have just one it would be a bull snake. You could make a nice naturalistic display to show off to visitors and they are very docile. They also get some decent size on them but not TOO big. Oh and they are a very inexpensive option both in cost of the snake as well as husbandry requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.